Talk

Advanced search

Mix fed baby refusing breast during day

(3 Posts)
Stroan Wed 30-Mar-16 18:22:32

My DD is 20 weeks. For various reasons, I feed her with nipple shields and bottles (EBM if I have enough or formula if not). Until a couple of weeks ago, she had 2 6oz bottles per day, 3 on a really bad day if she was particularly grumpy. She then had 5-6 breast feeds per day.

In the last couple of weeks, she's started to refuse the breast during the day. We have the odd day where she's fine and then others where she just won't feed from me at all. She's fine during the evening, overnight and in the morning.

I think I have enough milk for her, can express 4oz at a time. Because of the nipple shields, I often express after a feed too to help with supply.

I was really hoping to wean her off formula when we wean her onto solids but I'm now worried that we won't make it that far.

Is there anything I can do to get her back to taking the breast during the day? I really don't want this to be the end of breastfeeding for us.

Oogle Thu 31-Mar-16 11:03:42

No advice I'm afraid but bumping for you x

ThisIslandGirl Thu 31-Mar-16 11:49:38

I had the same thing with my 17 week old. When bf him he would flip on his back and put his arm out - the bottle feeding position. Same as you though, he was always fine on a night time and fed really well. I really thought it was the beginning of the end too.

Long story short my paediatrician got a breastfeeding nurse from the maternity ward to call me (have received no bf support from HV so did not want to speak to her, but that's another story!) and she gave me a supplemental nursing system (which i hadn't even heard of at the time) which has definitely fixed the problem. It might not be the route you want to go down, but thought I would let you know my experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now