Baby fussing at breast in evening

(11 Posts)
maybebabybee Mon 28-Mar-16 22:41:23

I posted another thread earlier but this is another question really so thought I'd post another thread.

12 day old DS is EBF, latches well, good weight gain, wet and dirty nappies. Is a sucky baby so has a dummy to drift him off to sleep most nights.

He's consistently fussy at the breast in the evening though - rooting as though hungry, feeding for a few minutes, shaking his head about, then latching off and having a whinge. I move to the other boob, same thing. Feed off same boob, same thing. Feed upright, same thing. Wind between boobs, same thing. I know it's not a low supply thing as I can see the milk dribbling out.

At the moment I give up after a while and give him dummy or pinky to suck while walking him round and he then goes to sleep. But I'm worried he's hungry and I'm denying him food. Any experiences/thoughts? I want to make sure I'm feeding him enough. He feeds roughly every 2 hours throughout the rest of the day.

MentalMum1 Mon 28-Mar-16 23:09:30

I don't have the answer but my daughter does the same sometimes and I also do dummy and sleep!! I was told that a hungry baby won't be lulled to sleep and I'm sure if they are otherwise healthy it'll then that's true... Feeding every two hours sounds like your baby is eating plenty during the day. Maybe they are just wanting to suck and getting frustrated by the milk? Hence the dummy soothing them to sleep? If they are feeding well during the day I wouldn't worry too much though. Easier said than done though and I am just as much of a worrier (have been posting on another thread about my breast feeding woes today!!! ;) ). Hope the fussiness stops soon X

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 28-Mar-16 23:12:19

My guess is that he's tired. Hence the fussing and wanting to suckle, to comfort himself to sleep.

calamityjam Mon 28-Mar-16 23:17:33

Its very normal for babies to cluster feed in the evening. All mine did it, its frustrating but it maybe growth spurt. Someone with more recent info will be able to tell you when the normal growth spurts occur.

maybebabybee Mon 28-Mar-16 23:19:15

Cluster feeding I'm fine with, it's just the fact that he seems to get very frustrated!!

whifflesqueak Mon 28-Mar-16 23:19:43

I think they all do this.

my eldest used to. can't remember when he stopped all that nonsense. my 2 week old is now doing the exact same.

kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

calamityjam Mon 28-Mar-16 23:24:35

I have just remembered it is something to do with stimulating your milk supply. It is normal for them to be fussy and agitated, I don't know why but they seem to act like they aren't getting enough but this is actually the opposite and he is stimulating your breasts to produce. A lot of mums give up at this point thinking their babies aren't getting enough. All I can suggest is keep telling yourself it is normal and it will pass and get easier. I know how hard it is I remember it clearly and my youngest is 8

CaptainKit Tue 29-Mar-16 01:01:02

Mine still does this and he's 6 weeks now. Dr Google said it's a combination of general evening fussiness, cluster feeding, and building supply.

I just yoyo my son from boob to boob until he's the right level of tired for bedtime. Occasional pauses in between boobs for a cuddle and a burp. He tends to get warm when he's fussing, so don't know whether warm boob flesh in his face is uncomfortable (sounds it!) and makes his fussing worse.

badg3r Wed 30-Mar-16 22:05:28

God I remember the 7-10 fussing every evening. Totally normal and most likely tiredness. As PP said, hungry babies won't be fobbed off with a dummy so if that's helping them settle it isn't hunger.

badg3r Wed 30-Mar-16 22:07:38

Oh, I remembered, swaddling helped my DS to stop faffing and keep his eyes on the prize during that phase!

LucyMouse Wed 30-Mar-16 22:10:42

My DS is 2.5 weeks old and is doing exactly this most evenings. And actually throughout the night as well. It's very frustrating but I don't feel as though there is anything actually wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now