Talk

Advanced search

would you breastfeed a child that wasn't your own?

(78 Posts)
artisanroast Sun 27-Mar-16 20:06:37

Hi,

Bit being adverse to controversy...

I thought I would put the question out there...

I would gladly feed a friend's child. I feel it offers ultimate comfort to a baby.

I will stop breastfeeding at 9 months to hopefully conceive baby no 2 but I could happily breastfeed for longer. (I was very much in the feed to 6 months then stop camp until I realised how much me and my daughter love it).

So... Would you? Do you?

If you did feed a friend's child how did the subject come up? Tell your story...

Floggingmolly Sun 27-Mar-16 20:10:00

No. To both "would I?" and "tell your story"...

Gisla Sun 27-Mar-16 20:12:44

Yes I would if circumstances required it. But I have no stories to tell.

Fyaral Sun 27-Mar-16 20:13:38

Never had children so you may disregard my opinion if you wish.

I would if necessary e.g. we were stuck with no access to formula and I couldn't express. Would not in a non-emergency situation but would happily share/donate expressed milk.

VimFuego101 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:13:41

If it was an emergency and no other food available for the baby, sure. A mother's milk is tailored to her own baby, though, the baby's saliva makes the mother create the antibodies the baby needs. So me BF someone else's baby as a one off would not necessarily have the same health benefits as me BF my own child long term. So I wouldn't be inclined to do it unless in dire need.

TheEagle Sun 27-Mar-16 20:15:19

You don't have to stop breastfeeding to conceive.

I conceived DTs while breastfeeding 10.5mo DS1.

CointreauVersial Sun 27-Mar-16 20:16:06

Funny how wet nursing was commonplace for centuries, but nowadays it feels almost taboo.

CaptainMorgansMistress Sun 27-Mar-16 20:16:09

Because you don't sound like a journo looking for a controversial sound bite at all...

Diddlydokey Sun 27-Mar-16 20:18:00

Nope. I'd give a bottle.

ScarletForYa Sun 27-Mar-16 20:18:02

I would in theory. Remember the police officer who breast fed the abandoned newborn

Absolutely!

DrE678 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:20:36

I conceived DC2 whilst breastfeeding DC1. After 6 months breastfeeding ceases to be a contraceptive (albeit always a risky one!) Prolactin levels reduce to allow ovulation after 6 months.

MrsLettuce Sun 27-Mar-16 20:20:44

I would have fed another woman's baby had the need arisen, yes. It never did though. There was one occasion where I was left feeling that I maybe should have offered but I didn't.

There's no need to stop BF to conceive BTW, as a general rule periods come back once the frequency of feeding drops which is often reasonably quickly after the introduction of solid food, it seems.

MrsLettuce Sun 27-Mar-16 20:22:31

yy, my DC2 (planned) was conceived on the second try while I was still BF DC1.

StitchesInTime Sun 27-Mar-16 20:22:38

I had several people warn me that breastfeeding wasn't a contraceptive, because they'd conceived unexpectedly while breastfeeding.

FattyNinjaOwl Sun 27-Mar-16 20:23:04

Nope. I didn't even breastfeed my own DC.

Ughnotagain Sun 27-Mar-16 20:23:15

Yeah you totally sound like a journo. Is this off the back of the articles about The Milk Meg feeding her nephew?

(I would feed someone else's child though.)

mineofuselessinformation Sun 27-Mar-16 20:23:42

Yes, I would have done back in the day....
But only with the mother's knowledge and consent unless an emergency.
I think it's a real shame that this is one of the last taboos left related to childbirth and babies - along with breastfeeding itself, of course.
A better question in my view is why wouldn't you if a baby was hungry and you had the means to feed it?

mineofuselessinformation Sun 27-Mar-16 20:24:41

Oh, and I don't care if this thread has been started by a journalist - as long as it's not negatively skewed.

AtSea1979 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:25:04

No I wouldn't under normal circumstances. Nor would I be happy with another woman breastfeeding my DC.

2016ismyyear Sun 27-Mar-16 20:26:36

Yes if necessary and with permission.

In fact a friend suggested i did but at the time i was too narrow minded.

usual Sun 27-Mar-16 20:26:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsUnderwood Sun 27-Mar-16 20:26:50

I'd do it if it was an emergency.

Notfastjustfurious Sun 27-Mar-16 20:26:51

I might in an emergency dire need kind of situation but generally I don't like feeding my own so wouldn't offer.

amysmummy12345 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:27:35

I conceived without stopping bf. DD self weaned when I was 20 weeks... Milk naturally dried out...

Ohfuckaducky Sun 27-Mar-16 20:27:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now