Talk

Advanced search

Bottlefed baby keeps crying!

(6 Posts)
Rubysmummy2016 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:34:48

My five week old DD has been struggling with feeding for the past 24 hours. She'll wake up hungry, I'll give her the bottle, she'll take a few mouthfuls and then she'll pull away screaming. I calm her down for 10 minutes, and then try again and the same happens time after time until she's finished her feed. I burp her regular throughout her feed and she brings up some really good burps, I lay her on her stomach on my chest and she calms down for a few minutes, then she'll root about like she's starving so I try again, she again takes a few mouthfuls and screams. I don't understand, and I'm worried that she's not getting enough. Any advice? Anyone else had this? She's been on size one NUK teats with a large hole for 3 weeks now, not sure if this could be the issue?

louisejxxx Sat 26-Mar-16 18:36:19

I would try a different teat first - that was my first thought. Quite often they'll just give up if they aren't getting the milk as quick as they want it.

Artandco Sat 26-Mar-16 18:38:31

I would think a large teat is too fast for a 5 week old. Usually they are designed more for 6+ months. So I assume she's taking too much in causing her to pull off and have to restart

Rubysmummy2016 Sat 26-Mar-16 20:25:54

Hi ladies, tried a different teat (one with a medium hole) still no joy. Starting to wonder if she's got bellyache or start of a cold. Checked her temperature and it's normal, not sure where to go from here.

Firstmum24 Sat 26-Mar-16 20:34:03

Is the formula hot/cold if it is too cold it might well be giving her bellyache. Although if you have always given her it at the same temp probably not that.
Other things to try - lie her on a flat surface and offer the bottle (this worked with my DD when she got a bit snuffly as its harder for them to suck when they can't breathe as well through their noses)
Try winding her before offering bottle, try using some infacol to help get any extra air up.
Could be an allergy to the formula but unless you have changed formula i wouldn't think so. If you are worried about it give your health visitor a wee call, settle your nerves. Its scary when they are that small but sometimes they go through phases.

Best of luck x

Onthedowns Sun 27-Mar-16 11:16:16

Might be silent reflux my dd was similar also could not lie comfortably flat for sleeping, hiccups and arching back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now