Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed baby poop - WARNING yucky picture

(17 Posts)
pickleandflux Mon 21-Mar-16 16:29:46

DD had mucus and specks of blood in her poo and I am now on a dairy free diet to see if she has cows milk protein allergy. I think her poops have improved but don't know if they are normal yet. What do you think?

GlitteryFluff Mon 21-Mar-16 16:39:16

Disclaimer - I know nothing.

That looks like diarrhoea to me.

HelenF35 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:48:01

Looks a little runny and mucusy to me.

noblegiraffe Mon 21-Mar-16 16:48:50

Did a doctor put you on the dairy free diet? Have you got any other reason to suspect a CMPA?

DD had blood in her poo as a bfed baby and the doctor told me to come back in a month and see if it resolved by itself. It did. If I had embarked on a dairy free diet I'd have thought it was that and had to remain on it the whole time I breastfed which would have been miserable.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 21-Mar-16 16:49:01

It looks quite dark.

LunaLunaLovegood Mon 21-Mar-16 16:50:40

That was what my DC's nappies looked like. I remember sending a photo into nursery as DS was their only BF baby so all the nursery workers knew what was normal confused

unlucky83 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:53:20

looks normal IME - that's how it ends up all up their back and coming out the legs of their nappy...happy memories (Maybe not ...)

Starman16 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:55:21

I would not embark on a dairy free diet without discussing with a GP.

My DS had mucus and blood in poo when he had bronchiolitis, doctor said due to him swallowing mucus and blood when coughing - we discussed other causes at the time and she mentioned it can also happen when they've been straining for a poo and burst a blood vessel, cows milk allergy can be a cause but if you have no other reason to suspect it then it's unlikely. Doctor said to me baby would be screaming and really uncomfortable when fed if CMAP

Generally, that poo looks pretty normal to me for breastfed baby

pickleandflux Mon 21-Mar-16 17:03:50

I went on the diet on the advice of a paediatrician - went to GP and she called the hospital for advice. Current plan is to reintroduce dairy to my diet and see if her symptoms return or not. I really hope not as I want to eat a massive easter egg (plus obviously don't want her to have allergies either!).

Rolypolybabies Mon 21-Mar-16 17:17:42

I'm on dairy free and that looks exactly like my baby's. xx

iamtotallyserious Mon 21-Mar-16 19:39:38

Looks very runny to me but may be totally normal!

I have EBF three babies and their poo is a bit more yellowy and thicker than that [grim]

Effiethemonster Mon 21-Mar-16 22:09:46

My dd has had explosive ones like that! Most of the time they are a lighter yellow. I guess just like adults their poos can vary!
She also quite often has mucus but she's very dribbly at the moment and I think that can cause mucus.

Does your dd have any other symptoms?

Bananalanacake Mon 21-Mar-16 22:15:10

I only clicked on this thread as I was feeling nostalgic for the early days. My dd was BF but also had to have FF. That colour is pretty normal.

Nousername2015 Tue 22-Mar-16 00:31:11

We are ebf (ds is 10 weeks) and that kind of nappy is our normal.

SushiAndTheBanshees Tue 22-Mar-16 01:46:06

Mucusy is fine and normal for a breastfed baby. I can't comment on the blood. Consistency also looks fairly normal for a bf baby, although you might expect some graininess. Colour is fine (you want yellow to brown, green shows baby isn't getting to the hind milk).

Junosmum Tue 22-Mar-16 11:55:11

My ebf babies poops are usually more like American mustard than that, in both colour and consistency but do look like your daughters after his immunisations or if he's held on to it for a day or two.

Micah Tue 22-Mar-16 12:04:12

looks totally normal to me. Mucousy was normal too.

Have you seen a dr? If the specks of blood are bright red it's likely a small anal tear, but best to get it checked. That's the only thing I'd be worried about. Has a dr diagnosed the possible dairy allergy?

Breastfed poo can be a big shock if you're not used to it, it is very liquid, a variety of colours from yellow to brown, and mucousy. It can also squirt a long way. The first time my mother saw it she wanted to drag Dc down to A+E straight away, was convinced she had some horrible GI infection. It is totally different to formula poo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now