Talk

Advanced search

BFing - hard lumpy breast is this mastitis yet?

(5 Posts)
Ocelotsmama Sun 20-Mar-16 11:52:12

I have had mastitis before (diagnosed by doc and treated with antibiotics) but that time I was engorged and lumpy, then shivery and only had the red hot skin the next day when the blockage was already clear (which is when I went to the doc).
A couple of times I've had a red hot patch that sorted itself out after a bath and a feed.
Today I am really, really lumpy again but no hot red skin. There is the general heaviness of being very full that my baby seems to be able to drain just fine but also another gravelly lump that is in a really awkward place - high up on the outer side of my breast and I can't for the life of me find a position to feed in that allows baby to work it out. Is this mastitis yet or still just engorgement? Do I wait for the shivering or redness to develop and then go to the docs? i have a spare course i could use if need be
Any tips for shifting it? My baby is a boss at feeding in strange positions (downward dog on one leg anyone?) if anyone can think of any that might help.
Tbh nothing freaks me out quite like lumpy boobs so I'm mostly posting to quell the panic.

Junosmum Sun 20-Mar-16 12:21:56

can you massage it out? Scaldingly hot shower and a firm (slightly painful) breast massage should do it. Unlikely to be mastitis yet but could become so if you don't get rid of it.

Freezingwinter Sun 20-Mar-16 12:25:07

Can you do a dangle feed? Or like pp said a very hot shower, warm compress with a flannel, ouchy massage? I wouldn't say its naturist yet wither

Freezingwinter Sun 20-Mar-16 12:25:26

Naturist yet winter???

blush

Mastitis yet either!

Ocelotsmama Sun 20-Mar-16 12:47:58

Sounds chilly Winter! grin

I might have been a bit feeble with my massaging so I will try again with renewed vigour! And shower and dangle feed I have not tried so shall! Brilliant! Thanks both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now