Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal?

(5 Posts)
maybebabybee Sat 19-Mar-16 11:50:23

I had DS 3 days ago. It was a pretty traumatic birth. We are still in hospital but ought to go home today fingers crossed.

I think breastfeeding is going ok - he latches on well and happily and feeds quite regularly for long intervals and we've had wet and dirty nappies. However sometimes he roots like he wants boob so I offer it to him, he latches on initially and then seems to get annoyed with it and starts shaking his head at it and grizzling. So I offer the other boob and he does the same thing. If you offer him a little finger however at this point he takes it and will literally suck on it happily for hours and often fall asleep on it.

So is this a comfort thing or is there something wrong with my breastfeeding? If it's a comfort thing should we get a dummy? I'm not anti dummy, just don't want it to interfere with feeding. We try jigging about, walking round, singing, skin to skin etc when he grizzles and rejects the breast, but he doesn't seem to settle with anything but the finger.

Feel quite tearful due to the circumstances of his birth and every little thing is knocking me for six at the moment. His upper lip also appears to be quite dry, maybe from the finger sucking.

Any help appreciated.

MunchyMunchkin Sat 19-Mar-16 11:56:45

Firstly you're doing a great job. Breastfeeding is hard at first but does get better. Don't be too hard on yourself after your traumatic birth. Be prepared to spend a lot of the next few week on the sofa or in bed with baby on/off the boob.
In terms of latching and then coming off grizzling, my LO would do this when she had wind. Some breastfed babies need winding after/during a feed. So give winding ago and try to relatch.

shoopshoopsong Sat 19-Mar-16 11:59:27

Sounds normal to me and agree it could be wind, so baby still wants comfort of the feed but is uncomfortably windy so doesn't want the actual milk so goes for your finger. Pretty clever baby if you ask me!

maybebabybee Sat 19-Mar-16 12:15:24

We did think wind so have tried that but he shrieks the place down and doesn't bring anything up - the occasional burp but that doesn't seem to make much difference. I will try again next time he does it though, I am just really scared he is hungry.

tiktok Sat 19-Mar-16 15:26:07

Gosh, this does sound on the normal spectrum for a new baby.....though it is stress making, for sure.

Who knows what is up? He's just new to the world, getting used to different sensations and experiences. He's a bit 'disorganised' but lots and LOTS of new babies go through this.

You are doing the right thing , offering him a feed but trying other things when that's not working.

Skin to skin comfort, responsive feeding, soothing and calm.....that will work in the end smile

By day three he should have 'changing stools' - the greeny brown stuff that shows the meconium is clearing and he is starting to digest your lovely milk. Have hi weighed tomorrow for extra reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now