Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding - sickness bug

(4 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sat 19-Mar-16 01:32:19

Hi got a stomach bug of some description vomiting last couple hours sad
I bf ds he's 14 weeks. I know you can feed through illnesses but any tips on practicalities? Will my milk decrease?

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Sat 19-Mar-16 01:45:29

I had a terrible DV bug last summer when my baby was about the same age as yours. I carried on breastfeeding as normal, my milk supply was unaffected and my baby amazingly did not catch the bug. I felt dreadful but my baby was very happy!

One thing though - I became VERY dehydrated. This made me even more ill than the DV bug so try and drink if you can to avoid it happening to you.

Also my husband took a couple of days off work to help look after us. Without that it would have been soooo much harder.

Hope you feel better soon!

TheKingSits Sat 19-Mar-16 08:36:47

You have my sympathies! I'm just recovering from the same, my LO was just 5 weeks though. We gave him 1 bottle of formula in the afternoon and 1 last thing at night, 2 days in a row. The advice is to continue feeding but I just felt too dreadful. I could barely lift him. My supply seems to have survived. The worst thing is the dehydration as I couldn't keep water down. Try ice poles/frozen lollies for some relief.

My DH couldn't leave work unfortunately but my parents came and that was a lifesaver. Hopefully you are being looked after! flowers

CarrieLouise25 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:35:52

I had gastroenteritis when my ds1 was 3 weeks old. Apart from feeling like death, did carry on bf - don't know how - and ds didn't get ill. Lots of water and rest for you. Just concentrate on yourself and baby and hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now