Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding with a nipple shield

(12 Posts)
Siobhana1 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:05:51

My baby is 10 days old, I'm using nipple shields. She hasn't put on any weight and it feels like the milk is dripping down me. Im worried she's not getting enough as she's only feeding for 6/7 minutes at a time. Should I get rid of the shields, I'm worried it's going to hurt like crazy. Anyone got any tips?

Annarose2014 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:11:03

Nipper shields are fiddly. I have used them but ditched them quickly as the baby has to have a very wide latch and a strong sick with them.

I'd go without. But not before buying Lanisoh. Lash it on liberally every time you feed. It stopped me having any abrasions etc so breastfeeding never hurt all that much.

Latch is also a big part of "not hurting". Google the hamburger technique where you squish your areola like a burger before popping it in. Sounds a bit ugh but it works!

Annarose2014 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:11:32

*suck

Tfoot75 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:14:26

Did it hurt before you started using them? I had some when dd was tiny but only used in an emergency, ie when the pain was too much to tolerate, I think it was about 3 times in total. Try without the shields and see.

Siobhana1 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:15:56

Thank you very much, I feel like she hasn't feed much today and I haven't had a visit from my health visitor yet and I'm really worried.

Can you tell me what the average time for a feed, today it she is only having 6/7 minutes and the occasional 30minute feed. It doesn't feel like it's enough

SleepForTheWeak Fri 18-Mar-16 07:02:00

Hi, I used nipple shields whe DD was born as she couldn't latch on without. I weaved her off after 6 weeks on one side and 12 weeks on the other. I wouldn't have used them if I didn't have to, they are fiddly and I found them difficult to be discreet with.

I also leaked milk from them at first, maybe the first couple weeks and always had to put a muslin underneath my boob when feeding to catch the escaping milk. Once my supply calmed down it was fine though.

Does your DC have plenty wet/dirty nappies? That's the best indication if they are getting milk smile.

HTH thanks

SleepForTheWeak Fri 18-Mar-16 07:03:37

*weaned her off, not weaved blush

scandichick Fri 18-Mar-16 07:10:38

Check the nappies as the previous poster said, it's the best way to find out. I've breastfed two babies, one has always fed very quickly and the other not, so while it's possible everything is fine I'd still be careful because your baby is do young. Any breastfeeding group nearby you could go to to check the latch?

If you read up on nipple shields on Kellymom there's lots of advice for his to wean off them.

scandichick Fri 18-Mar-16 07:13:17

Oh, and if you report your post you can ask MNHQ to move to the infant feeding topic. You'll get more replies there!

CatsCantFlyFast Fri 18-Mar-16 07:20:58

I wouldn't get caught up in average time for feeds - babies are so different in terms of feeling length and frequency that it's hard to compare.

What was the reason for using the shields in the first place? Can you afford to get a lactation consultant to come out for qualified advice? While many Heath visitors do give advice on breastfeeding, it can be the wrong advice and cause more problems than it is worth. (I for example was told no issues, no tt, great latch, by multiple hv. Persevered for 6 weeks until seeing a lc who diagnosed the most severe lip tie and a posterior tongue tie; said I was lucky to still have supply etc)

Siobhana1 Fri 18-Mar-16 09:20:34

Thank you everyone. Her nappies are good, lots of chicken korma style poos. I didn't have much help in the hospital with getting her to latch so I think I hurt myself then it was like poking at a open wound. The nipple shields have definitely helped with the pain but I don't want to stick with them for ever, I'm just scared I'm going to be back to square one with the pain without the shields.

KP86 Fri 18-Mar-16 09:36:11

They don't tell you that the first couple of weeks of breastfeeding does hurt (I would describe it as stinging) while you are both learning your way.

I had oversupply and my DS only fed for about 5 mins at a time too - flow was very quick. That can be a double edged sword because he got a lot of foremilk instead of the fattier hind milk, ended up refluxy and only gained minimal weight for a couple of months.

I stopped using nipple shields at about 4 of 5 weeks IIRC. It still stung a bit but stopped soon after (ie. not hurting the entire feed) and that didn't last forever either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now