Talk

Advanced search

16wk old weight gain issues...

(9 Posts)
HopeFull28 Fri 11-Mar-16 09:53:30

My DS who is breastfed isn't gaining as much weight as the hv would like.. he sleeps 8hrs at night but feeds every 2 hrs in the day.. she wants to check his weight again in 4wks but she didn't really say anything apart from question what I'm doing and make me feel like a bad mother would you wake him for a feed at night or should I start weaning him? hmm

MattDillonsPants Fri 11-Mar-16 11:44:55

You don't need to wean him...he's not 6 months yet. What were his weight and measurments OP? They really do fuss over nothing at times.

DesertOrDessert Fri 11-Mar-16 11:52:29

If she is happy to wait 4 weeks to reweigh, baby obviously isn't doing too badly.
Don't wean. Vegetables and rice, which are early weaning foods, contain significantly less calories than full fat milk!!!
Is is weight going up every time he is weighed? What changes in centiles have caused the HV to have concerns?

HopeFull28 Fri 11-Mar-16 12:04:18

He's currently 12lb6oz and was 11lb12oz 4wks ago.. he is 65cm though so quite long, tbh I think he's just going to be tall and slim.. but she looked at me funny when I told her he's not waking for a night feed made me think I should start waking him hmm

MumUndone Fri 11-Mar-16 13:08:22

I think if it was really serious she would check sooner than 4 weeks. Normally they worry if the baby drops down 2 percentiles (I think).

MumUndone Fri 11-Mar-16 13:12:27

HV probably looked at you funny because she's used to people saying their babies still wake up loads at 4 months! But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with sleeping through if he's healthy.

diploddycus Fri 11-Mar-16 13:20:00

When my DS wasn't gaining as much weight as the HV would like she told me to wake him in the night to feed. I said no chance but the wonderfully obedient boy started to wake himself to feed multiple times in the night hmm

I really don't think your HV is worrying too much if she's waiting four weeks to weigh him again. Has he dropped centiles?

HopeFull28 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:30:07

He is otherwise a happy healthy boy.. he was on the 50th line at birth, 10 day & 6wks then at 12wks he dropped to the 9th line and now he's just below it.. but his length has gone up from 50th -75th wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

tiktok Fri 11-Mar-16 15:50:55

Weighing monthly - as you have been asked to do - is standard. No more often than usual. Doesn't sound that the Hv is even mildly worried. A fall of two centiles in an otherwise apparently healthy baby is usually just a trigger to keep an eye open and to check the mum is not doing anything a bit 'off' like feeding to a rigid schedule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now