Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I can do to prepare my nipples in advance?

(8 Posts)
BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:33:08

Probably sounds like a silly question but last time around I find breastfeeding really hard. My nipples were absolutely destroyed within the first few days waiting for my milk to come in.

Is there anything I can do I advance to toughen them up/ protect them?

DD1 had tongue and lip ties but several lactation consultants I saw at the time said latch was fine and the main problem was her high palate which I couldn't do anything about. We muddled through with lots of nipple shields and lansinoh but I'd rather avoid these if possible.

Any tips?

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:34:57

Also, are there any good alternatives to lansinoh out there? I feel a bit grossed out by the whole greasy sheep thing after how much I got through last time

SohowdoIdothis Thu 10-Mar-16 13:49:57

Oh the memories, I came here to say just slam them in a door hing and sandpaper them repeatedly, but I see you all ready did this once, so have already done that.

You already know how hard it is, and I constantly asked myself through out all of them why I chose the breast feeding option, all I can say is , it different each time, and you may find you tough up quicker this time round, or your threshold for pain is improved, one one it was worse to start with, but got better much faster than first time round, and each baby has different technique, DD was far better from the off than any of her brothers(she was the only one to be born the right way round, around less painful baby).

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:45:09

That is hopeful about second time being easier. I'll leave the sandpaper out though hahaha

BatMobile Thu 10-Mar-16 18:18:37

I was in your position. Very hard time BF first time round but now successfully feeding 8 week old DS.

There isn't anything you can do to prepare nipples in advance but some of the things I did:

- book a lactation consultant to come and see you a few days after the baby is born. Book before baby arrives. Best thing I did.

- do NOT rely on midwives to diagnose tongue tie.

- Lansinoh is gross but it's amazing. You only need a tiny bit.

- watch the 'deep latch technique' video on YouTube.

- buy as many Multi Mam Compresses as you can afford. They are little gel patches which go on your nipples and heal them. They are MAGIC. Saved my boobs during the early days. Store them in the fridge and cut in half to make them more economical.

- be prepared to air your boobs as much as possible - this really helps with the initial soreness.

Good luck grin

Questionsagaintoday Thu 10-Mar-16 19:58:11

I never had a moment of discomfort so can't advice on healing

But - I saw an IBCLC before and asap after birth. Best expense ever

Never used Lansinoh but still got the tube

Never used breast pads but bought tons of lovely little lamb reusable

Google flipple on YouTube. Hat helped me get the latch right

DaphneWhitethigh Thu 10-Mar-16 20:04:06

I applied Lansinoh daily in advance before DC2. Dunno whether it worked, but certainly things were much easier after a pretty disastrous start with DC1. I think the key was that I absolutely knew what I was doing and how it was and was not meant to feel. Midwife came round shortly after I gave birth to DC2 to see whether I needed any advice on BF, drew back the curtain and saw me unlatching him decisively from the nipple with the words "No sweetie, not like that, try again" and agreed that she could safely leave me to get on with it.

minipie Thu 10-Mar-16 20:13:44

My nipples were completely shredded with DD1 who had posterior tongue tie (finally diagnosed and cut at 16 weeks).

With DD2 I had her tongue tie diagnosed and snipped at 12 days. (Booked the LC as soon as she was born). Nipples were totally fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now