Need some reassurance re breast cancer - Is TikTok still around?

(4 Posts)
lollypoppy123 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:21:29

I breastfed two children for 18 months through ducts which have now been diagnosed as cancerous. Ductal carcinoma in situ to give it it's full scary name. I had real trouble bf from the breast that has the cancer with persistent blockages and infections in the exact area that is now the problem. I'm terrified for lots of reasons but, not least, as my babies' milk was flowing through cancerous cells sad. Does anyone have any experience or solid logic with which to allay my concerns?

tiktok Wed 09-Mar-16 22:29:31

Not my area of knowledge, sorry, but goodness me, what a shock for you sad

I really don't know much about this at all, except I have a friend who had this, who recovered fully and who also BF her children - and this was not even raised with her. I am pretty sure mere contact with cancerous cells does not transmit any risk - cancer is not contagious and does not act like bacteria or a virus. At least that's my understanding.

Please check with your surgeon or doctor. Give either them or the cancer nurse working with them a ring tomorrow and say how worried you are. I do hope they reassure you 100 per cent. And all the best with the treatment.

lollypoppy123 Wed 09-Mar-16 23:23:53

Thank you. Your advice was great in the past when bf but I appreciate this is outside your brief. Glad your friend recovered. I need all the positive stories I can get right now. flowers

Beccabell Wed 30-Mar-16 11:40:50

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed. I know where you are coming from as I have just recovered from extensive therapy for breast cancer, chemo, radiotherapy, herceptin and surgery (I had an aggressive invasive breast cancer that had spread to my lymph nodes, so I'm not as "lucky" as you). You will be fine and DCIS doesn't need chemotherapy - it's not classed as invasive cancer - the much scarier words are Ductal Invasive Cancer or Lobular Invasive Cancer - "In situ" means it has stayed where it is. I'm so glad yours was caught very early for this reason. Breast cancer can't be transmitted to babies via breast feeding so please don't worry about that. I breastfed my children too and was re-assured that there is no possibility whatsoever of passing it on. Stay positive and focus on your recovery. I had a nasty form of cancer, but am doing wonderfully 2 years on with no evidence of disease and feel better than I have done for years. Best wishes xxx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now