weight gain stalled in 20 week old

(13 Posts)
Questionsagaintoday Mon 07-Mar-16 08:31:06

My 20 week old son who is breastfed has put on no weight in the past 3 weeks and only a pound in he Minh before that. He's on the 9th centile now having been born on the 50th. Always weighed on same clinic scales since birth

He's otherwise fine but it's not very nice to see him simply not gain any weight. He is fed on demand has a good lath I've never had any discomforts, his tongue was checked by an IBCLC no tie, he feeds from two or three sides up to. 8/9 times a day does a poo each day and many pees. I do breast compressions.

He is okay taking a bottle on occasion. I had planned to bring down breastfeeding to morning and evening only in 3 weeks time anyway so should I start the transition now?

Any other ideas on the weight gAin anyone?

Thanks much.

Questionsagaintoday Mon 07-Mar-16 12:26:58

Bump

tiktok Mon 07-Mar-16 12:42:27

Has an HCP mentioned any concerns to you? In an otherwise healthy baby, this weight pattern could be normal.

No reason from what you say here to speed up transition to formula. If you or the HCPs involved think he needs more calories, then the easiest and healthiest thing to do would be to get more breastmilk into him...but he may be fine anyway without you doing anything.

Not possible to say really! If no one has expressed any health concerns to you. then there may be no problems.

Questionsagaintoday Wed 09-Mar-16 18:03:33

Thanks tiktok

Can I please also ask how I could make nursing more efficient? And basically try to give him more breastmilk? He has about 6 feeds a day as follows - 6,9:30,1230;330;630;10 pm

At each I usually offer both sides and from this evening it struck me I could offer more sides - he's had four sides his evening

I also ensure I do compressions once the sucking slows

I don't think he will feed any more often really.

In a few weeks time the 3 pm and then then 12:30 will be replaced and as I resume work the 9:30 will be too in about 8 weeks ish. He will also be on solids by that time.

The ones I will be keeping uptill a year are the early mornings and evenings

Anyhow till then over the next few weeks any thoughts on how I could get more BM into him? I don't rest to go through the expressing faff though

icclemunchy Wed 09-Mar-16 18:06:45

Just offer more often. Literally every time he makes a peep! Even if she just has a couple of mouthfuls it'll soon add up. But as a pp has said it's usually for weight gain to stall.

Questionsagaintoday Wed 09-Mar-16 18:55:24

Alas any more often than that he cranes his neck away, arches backwards turns torso away from me and makes gnnnnnahhh sound in protest and strains away

Questionsagaintoday Fri 11-Mar-16 11:18:57

He's now lost weight and the health visitor asked me to start weaning at 21 weeks tomorrow

When I inquired about the fact that the calorific value of veg is usually less than milk with just a couple of exceptions she mumbled various rubbish that made no sense

I'm happy to start him off with avocado, or mashed potatoes with his milk in it - but in at my wits end as to what to do really

He breastfeeds copiously and nicely from both sides at the least 8 times a day, won't have any more and apart from waking him up at night I can't see what else I should do?hes stalled for three weeks and now lost. I do multiple sides hear many gulps and tinny noises and I also do compressions

If anyone has weaned at 21 weeks can you suggest any foods that aren't actually good you eat to lose weight but rather foods that will serve the ourpose of getting him to start gaining weight again?

Questionsagaintoday Fri 11-Mar-16 11:20:02

Ps I called his Gp as well today and she also suggested "he's on the cusp of weaning so maybe that's what's needed"

Questionsagaintoday Fri 11-Mar-16 13:00:16

tiktok Fri 11-Mar-16 15:24:25

No need to be too concerned about introducing solids at this stage but yes, make them in addition to milk and calorie dense.

So: banana, avocado, potato, cereal.

Are you certain he has actually lost? And that weights are accurate?

Questionsagaintoday Fri 11-Mar-16 15:34:34

It's the usual clinic weights. I feel awful like I've failed at breastfeeding - I'm continuing breastfeeding for the foreseeable few months even after return to work but I've been left thinking if my milk wasn't any good for him sad

tiktok Fri 11-Mar-16 15:41:34

Eh? Failed? You have fed your baby beautifully and kept him fine and healthy and to intro solids at this stage is well within normal. It's not clear if he actually needs them but he won't be harmed by them smile

Your milk is just fine. Carry on BF alongside solids for as long as you want.

Questionsagaintoday Fri 11-Mar-16 15:48:59

Thank you tiktok smile this is exactly what my DH has sent by text just now! Great minds think alike smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now