4 week old wont stop feeding (formula fed)

(10 Posts)
Lizzie92 Wed 02-Mar-16 21:36:31

Hi all, I'm at a slight loss and don't know what to do for the best. My 4 week old is pretty much consistently demanding food. He's always been hungry but I feel its getting ridiculous. For example, from 4 o clock this afternoon to now (10:30) baby has drunk 450ml and is currently screaming for more! I've even tried giving him some cool boiled water in an effort to fill him up but as soon as he realised it wasn't milk he spat it out and started screaming again. He's not interested in a dummy either sad He always demands 3 bottles in the morning before he even considers going down for a nap and every time he wakes he's instantly screaming for food. He's currently on Aptamil 1 but I'm considering trying him with hungry baby milk. Has anyone got any experience of this? Also can anyone shed some light on whether this amount of feeding is normal?

dementedpixie Wed 02-Mar-16 21:41:17

How much is in each bottle and how many is he having? Have you considered the possibility of reflux as drinking can help soothe the feeling?

Lizzie92 Wed 02-Mar-16 21:48:19

I've looked up symptoms of reflux but he doesn't seem to match them. He doesn't often projectile vomit, or vomit at all really and when he's upset he brings his legs up to his chest instead of going rigid? I've been giving him coleif which seems to be helping a bit but all he wants to do is eat which I'm guessing is leading to stomach pain of some variety.

sunnydayinmay Wed 02-Mar-16 21:56:50

Just wanted to sympathize. My eldest was exactly the same. If he wasn't feeding, he was screaming, and he took a huge amount of milk (BF for 10 days, then FF).

Everyone had a suggestion - stretch his feeds, take him for a walk, use a dummy, use a sling. Nothing worked at all, he just wanted food.

He eventually calmed down at 3 months, but still took huge feeds.

dementedpixie Wed 02-Mar-16 22:02:31

Silent reflux doesn't involve vomiting. Colief only helps if there is an issue with lactose.

CanIGoToBedNow Wed 02-Mar-16 22:06:44

Try offering a dummy - I hate them, but when my DD was doing this I'd offer a dummy to settle her.

It was only for about a month and it worked a treat. She's 9 months now and she does not use one at all.

curlywurly4 Wed 02-Mar-16 22:28:41

How much is he having in a day? I also wondered about silent reflux, is he comfortable lying flat?

Xmasbaby11 Wed 02-Mar-16 22:32:25

How many bottles in 24 hours? How many oz in each bottle?

It is hard with ff because you can see if they are having too much or too little, but really at this age I would continue to feed on demand.

Katarzyna79 Wed 02-Mar-16 22:47:37

Was the baby a low birth weight, if so it may account for why she/he needs a bottle so often. with my 2nd child i have to feed here every 2 hrs, it felt constant because they drink so slow then need winding, it seems like 30 mins then time to feed again.

if weight is not the issue, more likely the baby is prob using the bottle teat for comfort to suckle on?

babies that young usually have2- 3oz at a time unless the baby is big maybe 4 oz at each feed. feeds are usually between 2-4 hrs depending on the birth weight.

baby may need burping more than once could be trapped wind, burping can take time too, parents need so much patience (I'm not looking forward to it again lol). my son had terrible colic and hed scream constantly and milk always kept him quiet, he didn't need it though. but his colic was more obvious, he had projectile vomit i used to have hand towels as bibs for him it would go across the room not joking.

your child may not vomit but could still have colic? need extra winding?

has the baby been doing regular poops with all that extra feeding if not may be causing constipation?

it's all trial and error with kids, it's like being at school again looking for cause and effect lol Hang in there OP try everything and give the health visitor a telephone call they don't mind at all.

unimaginativename13 Thu 03-Mar-16 21:58:08

It's not ridiculous! 450ml in 6.5 hours would be around 15 ounces so that's 5oz every 3 hours?

What are you comparing it too to say it's ridiculous?

Just keep giving first milk please don't give hungry baby milk, there's no need it will stop. You may find next week it's 4 bottles a day.

When you say 3 bottles in the morning do you mean 3 X 9oz (full bottles) or something else?

If baby is still hungry maybe that's why? There nothing wrong with giving your baby what they want. I had this fear and it does even out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now