Talk

Advanced search

Is bf over already?

(4 Posts)
NickyEds Wed 24-Feb-16 13:55:43

Dd is 7.1 months and is mix fed. She's always been mainly bf but with initially one, now 2 bottles of f in the evening. The bottles are 8 oz at 7ish and 4oz at 10.30 is. At 10.30 she won't settle without milk but I can't get her to latch on. We started weaning about 6 weeks ago and she loves her food. Since then she's been dropping milk feeds at an alarming rate and for the last two days I haven't been able to get her to bf at all. Hv said that it's fine as her weight is doing well but that was two weeks ago when she was still feeding during the day and once in the night, although they were very short feeds. Hv said that she was probably taking on more than I thought but even so it was okay as she doesn't actually need that much milk.
So now I'm at a bit of a loss. I knew I was risking bf by mix feeding but I really didn't expect her to stop this early and I can't make her feed. Is 12 oz of f a day enough for a 7 month old? TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Feb-16 15:29:33

Have you spoken to a BFC?

NickyEds Wed 24-Feb-16 15:42:34

I went to a bf buddies meeting held with the Hv team last week and they said to try feeding in a dark room and reduce distractions. I also have a toddler so that's not really ideal. I've tried a couple of times during ds' nap but it didn't help. Tbh I felt like a fraud even being there because of the mix feeding and also the other women there had tiny babies and were really struggling.

Junosmum Thu 25-Feb-16 06:56:23

No advice but wanted to say that breastfeeding support is for every stage of the breastfeeding journey, not just the newbies and not just those exclusively bfing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now