Talk

Advanced search

Accidentally taken night nurse capsules - breastfeeding help

(7 Posts)
Spudlet Tue 23-Feb-16 08:26:47

DH asked me if I wanted paracetamol (for the stinking cold he's brought home from work), then in the spirit of helpfulness, dug out some nighttime cold capsules and got me those instead of straight paracetamol, but didn't say anything until later. All it says online is not to take them if you're breastfeeding...

He's now gone to work, leaving me with a hungry baby who I know won't take a bottle from me! He's currently fine as I fed him immediately after taking the tablets. But what should I do when he next wants to feed? How long before this stuff is out of my milk - does anyone know?

DH has been informed of the error of his ways... He was only trying to help. But I could still murder him!

jimpam Tue 23-Feb-16 08:30:43

Oh dear, what a shame! Ask a pharmacist or call your GP, they should be able to advise you.

NickyEds Tue 23-Feb-16 08:38:55

If I had a hungry baby who wouldn't take a bottle I'don't just bf to be honest. You could always give a pharmacist a call if you're worried. As I understand it the main worry with decongestant is that it can reduce supply not harm your baby.

NerrSnerr Tue 23-Feb-16 08:46:26

I think the main issue is that it reduces supply, not that it's dangerous to the baby. Is it the Breastfeeding Network who have a helpline? Might be worth googling.

Spudlet Tue 23-Feb-16 08:55:29

Thanks guys. I googled and read about the supply issue - I tend towards oversupply and mad squirty boobs so hopefully that will be ok. Just spoke to the HVs - they said it should be out of my system in four hours, so try not to worry but keep an eye on DS in case he gets drowsy and take him to the GP if so.

I have some of my ores ions stash of EBM defrosting just in case DS gets hungry - I doubt he'll take it but worth a try.

Really annoyed with DH!

Spudlet Tue 23-Feb-16 08:56:07

Ores ions? Autocorrect! That should say precious...

Butterfliesprettybutterflies Tue 23-Feb-16 09:14:56

I have a great app called lactmed that tells you all about different medicines and whether there is really any harm in taking them when breastfeeding - a lot of drugs just have it on the packet to cover themselves and prevent people taking it all the time (and many really shouldn't be taken at all of course!!) but it's really helpful.
A v quick glance at it says that the active ingredients in night nurse aren't likely to be much of of a problem as a one off so I wouldn't be worried if it were me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now