Talk

Advanced search

6 week old formula feeding

(9 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:46:20

Hi all, how much do/did/would you feed your 6 week old and how often do you feed them? I know the guidelines are 150-200ml per kg of weight but do you stick to this? He weighed 8.13 just over 4kg last week. I'm really confused about what to do and my health visitor is not particularly helpful. I'm really struggling with anxiety and have found the first few weeks very tough. I love him so much I just want to get everything right and make sure he is happy, which I'm not sure he is... Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

dementedpixie Mon 22-Feb-16 18:49:02

No, if they want more than that then you give them what they need. Mine fed every 2.5 to 3 hours at that age but can't remember Amounts. My rule was that if they finished every bottle then I added another ounce to each the next day.

gglndn Mon 22-Feb-16 18:49:02

Heya, I generally tried to monitor how much they had each day to check it was in line with the suggested amounts. We did feeding on demand (so just like bf, feeding him when he had hungry cries) and in my experience my Lo has generally had more than the suggested amount. My lo is 9 months old so I can't remember our schedule at 6 weeks but I think it was roughly every 3 hours we have him a bottle. The what to expect book as I remember was clear about how much or look at baby sleep site to give you an idea of a rough schedule.

Also, in my experience none of the health visitors gave me correct advice in terms of formula feeding. The NHS website is good and clear and when I called up the formula company with questions they were very helpful.

Well done on the first six weeks! I was uber-anxious at the start but my confidence really grew as the FF really started working

Summerdays2014 Mon 22-Feb-16 19:24:24

Thank you both for your replies.

kamillaw Mon 22-Feb-16 19:58:00

I think it's not unusual for FF babies to vary the amounts they have per feed just like bf babies. If he's satisfied after a feed has lots of wet nappies I think that's a good indicator. Newborns cry a lot, and he could be windy or refluxy and that's nothing to do with feeding really!

Have you got someone you can talk to for your anxiety?

Summerdays2014 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:21:53

Kamillaw, thank you for responding. I have spoken to my husband, the health visitor and GP. Prior to pregnancy I was on anti depressants which I found worked well for me so have gone back on them from last week. I am very much hoping they start to curb the anxiety, as I am finding worrying all the time and about every little thing exhausting.

kamillaw Tue 23-Feb-16 22:44:12

Bless you Summer - sorry don't know how to bold. As you know the mess can take a while to kick in I've just been recommending you tube guided mindfulness as it was recommended to me. It's quite nice and you can do as much or as little as you want, when the baby is sleeping perhaps use some of that time to do nice things just for you - a TV show, colouring or whatever even painting your nails! Have a think about popping along to a Mum and baby group, it saved my sanity 2nd time around! X

unimaginativename13 Wed 24-Feb-16 15:56:46

My guzzler probably had 6oz every 3-4 hours.

Don't go by the guidelines! Just make up 5oz and if they need more make more of only doing 4oz offer 4oz!

FizzyFeet Wed 24-Feb-16 16:11:45

My DD is 6 weeks and probably a similar weight (hasn't been weighed for a while). She has anywhere between 4 and 6oz at a time, feeding roughly every 2.5-3 hours. I almost always make up 6oz because throwing away a bit is better than not having enough if she's feeling hungry! I read that once they start draining a bottle to go up an ounce. I think they have hungry and less hungry days, like us.

Well done on getting to this point! I have found it really hard over the last few weeks adjusting to the responsibility, the crying, trying to work out what she needs etc. - you're definitely not alone! I felt very inhibited about going out in case she cried and people thought I was an awful mother. But my sister said to me 'sometimes babies just cry' and I try to repeat that if I can't work out what's wrong! Hope the ADs kick in soon for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now