Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis/Clogged Duct

(5 Posts)
deepika09 Fri 19-Feb-16 12:05:39

I accidently wore a tight bra last thursday because of which i started having pain in my left breast. Entire friday i was in pain and left it by taking a pain killer. Saturday morning i had two big lumps in my breast which were very painful. I tried hot towel and expressed as much as i could, Fed the baby more often from that side but it did not go.

On Monday i went to see the doctor, she got a scan done. Scan showed local mastitis and inflammation. It did not show any blocked duct. I started the course of antibiotics. I massaged the lump a lot, i tried all possible feeding positions, took hot water bath, put hot towels, fed and expressed as much possible. It is Friday and lump is not going. It is less painful though but tender and pains when touched.

I am freaking out. Someone please help. How long it takes to get this lump out. I so want to go back to my normal routine of no tension.

Please help.

PotteringAlong Fri 19-Feb-16 12:10:52

Get in a bath as hot as you can stand. Boob in the water and express milk whilst the boob is under water. That and dangle feeding so you're essentially on all 4's and feeding the baby by dangling the boob into their mouth worked for me.

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Fri 19-Feb-16 13:43:08

Apply a hot compress first/warm bath. Then do reverse pressure softening (link below)

Now comb firmly over the lumps using your knuckles going towards the nipple. You may need to alternate between the RPS and combing.

When you feel the lump is cleared apply a cold compress - peas/ice pack/cold flannel if that's all you have.

Feed feed feed - do funny positions to change the angle. Often leaning over the baby so your boob is dangling down is a good one.

Keep following this process as often as needed and take ibuprofen every 4 hours (as recommended on the packet) to help keep swelling down.

I would generally recommend seeing a doctor once a woman had developed a temperature. .. I would try and avoid pumping if possible as it will hyperstimulate milk production and cause yet more mastitis issues down the line
www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-EngRPShttp://on.aol.com/video/how-to-use-reverse-pressure-softening-during-engorgement-106182017

deepika09 Mon 22-Feb-16 07:08:56

Thank you so much PotteringAlong and eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever.

I went to my doc as the lump was not going at all. She detected a abscess of 2 cm. she said to get operated, it will take entire day and will be given general anaesthesia where i will unconscious for 2-3 hours and also require fasting from morning. i did not want to go for it as my baby is EBF and did not how my husband will be able to manage.

the other doctors that i consulted told me there is no such urgency to drain it out.

Pain is gone, tenderness is a lot reduced, lump has softened. Could you suggest some way where i can get rid of this lump without incision as i have lot if responsibilities and cant afford so much time in taking care of the wound. Can a 2cm abscess go away by course of antibiotics ?

Please help . Thanks

RubyChewsDay Mon 22-Feb-16 07:15:50

Massage, hot flannels & feeding on all fours helped me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now