Talk

Advanced search

Sudden nipple pain on one side, what could it be?

(4 Posts)
CheersBigEars1 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:33:44

I've been breastfeeding my DS for 6 months now and recently things have been great but I've suddenly developed a very sore nipple on one side only (ruling out thrush?). It's pretty toe curling at the start of a feed and becomes more bearable as it goes on. There's nothing that looks like trauma or a blister or anything although it's a funny inverted nipple so a bit difficult to tell. I have had repeated blocked ducts on that side but don't seem to have any lumps just now. Does anyone know what this might be? I'm dreading the next feed on that side....

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 16-Feb-16 09:09:53

Poor you. If you are dreading the next feed could you take some ibruprofen? I've no idea what it could be sorry. Have you tried one of the Bfing Helplines?

minijoeyjojo Tue 16-Feb-16 09:17:26

I had this, mainly on the right side, it probably took a week for it to become both sides. All looked absolutely fine but the Drs eventually prescribed thrush cream which fixed it in a day. You may as well try thrush cream as it shouldn't do any harm.

CheersBigEars1 Tue 16-Feb-16 10:32:56

Thanks so much for getting back to me guys. I think I know what it is/was now. Last night I was feeding on the other side and during the let down noticed a pretty scary lump appearing just below the sore nipple so turns out it was a blocked duct after all. It was in such an odd place and felt completely different to what I've had before. I think DS was literally pressing on it while feeding - hence the pain.

After a bath, hand expressing and some neurofen it felt sooo much better. Still sore this morning but nothing like last night so hopefully on the mend.

And so the breastfeeding adventure continues 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now