Correct use of powder pots for formula powder

(5 Posts)
T0b1a5B3kka Mon 08-Feb-16 23:40:31

Evening, can you advise on how to use these powder pots. I've sn advent one that advises me to sterilise before first use. And doesn't mention anything about washing in between uses? I've a steam steriliser that when done comes out with water on, however if I where to add the required amount of scoops for when out and about some would remain in the pot.

Help!!!

rightguard Mon 08-Feb-16 23:47:09

Just give it a wipe with kitchen roll before you add the powder.

Ploppymoodypants Mon 08-Feb-16 23:49:09

Hello, things like this baffled me when I had DD and first used formula. Basically wash after use and sterilise. Golden rule, they must been 100% dry before adding formula or the Wetness starts turning tiny bits of the formula into milk and then will go bad before it gets used and could make your baby unwell. Leave them to dry in steriliser don't use tea towel as that won't be sterile. Remember also the formula has to be added to water at 79 degrees. Although water can be boiled and cooled, the formula itself isn't sterile so if added to cooled water the germs are not destroyed. Lots of my friends used cooled boiled water and I noticed they often had tummy upset babies or constipated ones. My HV gave me above advise and honestly my DD never had a tummy upset until she was weaned, or constipation. Good luck.

Also when out and about finding the right temperature water or carrying a flask is a faff and the ready made cartons are easiest.

Hope this helps and doesn't sounds too bossy.

BumWad Tue 09-Feb-16 04:08:02

You're going to sterilise the powder anyway when making up the milk so I wouldn't worry too much.

I gave up using powder when out and about I use the ready made cartons much easier smile

stargirl1701 Tue 09-Feb-16 05:06:18

They don't need sterilised. The formula powder is not sterile. You will be killing the bacteria when you add the water above 70 degrees. Just wash with hot soapy water and then dry them thoroughly before use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now