Formula link with type 1 diabetes

(5 Posts)
Wadsy Fri 22-Jan-16 18:00:00

I have thrown everything I have at establishing breast feeding. My baby had a tongue tie which was snipped and then also developed jaundice. She won't latch on any more and after spending 24 hours with her in hospital pumping 65ml every 3 hours to get rid of the jaundice I am exhausted and only managed 45ml during my last pump. I really wanted to avoid formula as my sis has type 1 diabetes and there is a link between developing the condition and formula use esp if there is a family predisposition. Anyone have any studies or info I can look at please about type 1 diabetes and formula use. I'm sleep deprived and not thinking straight and I don't know where to look for the info. Thanks

mrssmith79 Fri 22-Jan-16 18:20:32

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140616204036.htm
This is a fairly recent study.

Wadsy Sat 23-Jan-16 18:25:03

Thanks mrssmith! smileWe seem to have turned a corner today with the breast feeding so hopefully I can carry on for longer but it's very helpful to read this study. Thank you x

mrssmith79 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:50:17

No problem, glad things are looking up flowers

DangerMouth Sun 24-Jan-16 09:50:17

Glad it's getting better. I had to express after dd2 had her tt snipped at 2 weeks and then wouldn't consistently bf after that. When l first started expressing l didn't get much but it soon increased so try not to feel disheartened by it.

But expressing was a real PITA so I'd keep trying with bf to be honest!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now