Snuffly 6 week old

(4 Posts)
WalkThePlank0 Mon 18-Jan-16 11:20:36

My 6 week old has, I think, his big brothers cold. His is snufflier than normal and had some brown snot earlier. There are no other symptoms - no temperature or coughing except a rash on the side of his cheeks which might not be connected .

He was feeding really well for about an hour every 2-3 hours with longer intervals at night.

Since Friday he is sleeping more, windier and more irritable. He feeds for half the time but more frequently and every 2 hours at night. He is still producing wet nappies but probably not as frequently. More than 6 nappies a day...

I was thinking it would correct itself once he gets over the cold. But I was hoping for some reassurance. Anyone?

Topsy34 Mon 18-Jan-16 19:35:48

Snuffles are really common in babies, my 9w old has a cold now.

More feeding is also usual with a cold, offer on demand to keep fluids up.

Whats his fontanelle like?

Its more than likley all ok, and it does just sound like a cold, but as you are worried and the nappies aren't so frequent i would be inclined to get him checked over. Most doctors would rather see a baby and reassure the parent than not

louise987 Mon 18-Jan-16 19:44:40

Agree with topsy34, totally normal and I went through the same thing with my DD a few weeks back when she was about the same age. I used saline drops in the evening (when she seemed the worst) and they helped a bit, you can pick them up at the pharmacy.

Otherwise keep doing what you're doing and keep an eye for any changes. Hope he feels better soon xx

WalkThePlank0 Wed 20-Jan-16 07:07:52

Thanks for all your help. He's much better now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now