Feeling terribly guilty over lactose intolerance

(4 Posts)
BettyBleue Sat 16-Jan-16 23:44:57

Hi, I think my 6 month old DD has a lactose intolerance. For the past 3 months her poos have been very runny, which coincided with the start of her teething and therefore I put it down to her teething. I saw my GP about it and she too thought it was teething related. Anyway for the past week, her poos have been dreadful, leaking through her nappies and incredibly watery, and therefore I have tried her on lactose free formula. Since starting her on this formula, her poos are a lot more solid. I think it is highly likely she has a lactose intolerance, bit I feel incredibly guilty that I didn't pick this up sooner

hAS anyone else been through similar?

dementedpixie Sun 17-Jan-16 10:39:08

You can get temporary lactose intolerance after a tummy bug. Unlikely to be proper lactose intolerance as she would not be putting on weight and thriving if that was the case.

NickyEds Sun 17-Jan-16 14:10:37

Don't feel guilty. Lactose intolerance is very rare and it is extremely unlikely that it would have gone on un noticed even to three months. My friends little boy has it and he was very, very ill (on bm) from being tiny, didn't put on weight etc. As pp said it could have been a reaction to a bug. Runny nappies in and of themselves aren't a problem necessarily- (leaking nappies can just be down to the wrong size of nappy). Does she have any other symptoms?

BettyBleue Sun 17-Jan-16 16:11:21

Thank you both for your replies. She doesn't have any other symptoms to be honest, and she is definitely gaining weight and generally seems healthy. I just assumed she may have a lactose intolerance as her poo immediately stopped being watery and looked a lot healthier once I put her on lactose-free formula.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now