Talk

Advanced search

Raging PMT symptoms after phasing out feeds but still no period!

(8 Posts)
SallyMischievo Sat 09-Jan-16 09:03:36

DD is almost 13 months. For the last few weeks, I have been phasing out breastfeeding and as of this week, I have reduced to just one feed per day at bedtime, (plus when she wakes up during the night - usually once but occasionally twice). She has cow's milk first thing and throughout the day and seems happy with this. Ever since I have cut back on feeding, I have been getting cramps and back ache on and off and have been carrying tampons with me, convinced I am going to get my period at any moment. These have been particularly bad for the last few days, forcing me to bed on a couple of occasions. However, still no sign of AF! Can anyone else relate? Normal or should I see my GP?

SallyMischievo Sun 10-Jan-16 05:13:41

Sorry to bump but can anyone advise? Many thanks!

Starface Sun 10-Jan-16 07:11:40

Hi. I bf for 2 years. I reduced v slowly across months. At the end I was on 1 feed a day. At 13 months had no AF. By 2 years light monthly flow returned but wasn't same as pre-preg flow.

I had a massive hormonal reaction to stopping bf. More similar to post-natal than PMT. For me it affected my mood and sleep. I didn't know what was going on. My mum spotted the connection - she has many children all bf. For me a large hormonal shift with individualised response at the point of stopping breastfeeding makes sense. I would extend this to a rapid reduction. I have no evidence to support this apart from personal experience and haven't seen it discussed. I don't know if kellymom has anything to say.

If you're worried I'd always see a gp - they can spot stuff we don't even if we might think we've found an explanation. They might watchfully wait for a bit but doesn't mean you're wrong to go.

Starface Sun 10-Jan-16 07:12:32

Ps. My periods didn't return "properly" for a couple of months.

SallyMischievo Mon 11-Jan-16 08:50:32

Many thanks, Starface. This is helpful. I have reduced daytime feeds little by little over a couple of months. I would have been happy to continue for longer but I need my periods to come back sooner rather than later as we are hoping to TTC again soon - I will be 40 soon so time is of the essence! Did you have to finish BF completely for your periods to return?

whatsoever Mon 11-Jan-16 15:32:56

When I stopped breastfeeding I was very tearful and stressed for a couple of weeks, which was like exaggerated PMT. I was advised by a breastfeeding peer supporter that when you finish breastfeeding your hormones can make your body think you have lost a child, and that is the cause of the extreme low mood.

No help on when the periods will return though I'm afraid, I had a mirena coil by then so no natural monthly cycle as such.

Gotosleep123 Mon 11-Jan-16 17:06:38

Hi I've also been phasing out breastfeeding feeding- I had bad cramps for a couple of week and then it finally arrived! For me, my moods are actually a lot better since after suffering from antenatal and postnatal depression. I feel more like myself again.

Hopefully your period will arrive soon!

Starface Tue 12-Jan-16 19:59:14

For me personally they didn't return properly until I stopped. And I didn't conceive again for a few months after. So I suspect it suppressed my fertility.

BUT lots of people Inc friends of mine do conceive whilst breastfeeding. I suspect it differs for different people. If time is of the essence for no 2 I personally would stop - you've done more than enough!

Fwiw if we go for a third I'll be in a similar position and will probably stop earlier than I did with my first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: