Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby refusing perfectly good latch.

(3 Posts)
Needle Wed 06-Jan-16 14:19:43

So, I'm a little embarrassed to be on here asking for help, as DS is my 4th child, and I've spent most of the last 5 1/2 years breastfeeding, but I'm completely stumped.

DS is 6 days old, and won't accept a good latch. I'll get him latched on perfectly, then he'll suck for two seconds and stop. We'll do this 20 or so times before I give up and let him nipple feed out of sheer desperation. My poor nips are a bloody mess and I'm having to express and bottle feed him. I haven't been able to wear a shirt for two days. It's all terribly undignified.

Does anybody have any similar experience? (it's not a tongue tie, we've checked) I'd be very grateful for some insight.

tiktok Wed 06-Jan-16 15:15:56

Hmmmm.....might be worth getting another opinion on the TT.

Have you tried self-attachment? Try a biological nurturing position and see if he will help himself. Google Mother and Baby dance for a variation on this.

This might be a case for nipple shields, as it's gonna hurt letting him mess about, bobbing on and off as he gets himself on sad

(Don't be embarrassed - my worst soreness was with number one baby, but number three baby was almost as agonising smile )

Needle Wed 06-Jan-16 19:41:19

I've never heard of self attachment, I'll have to look into it, thank you.
I think it might just be a case of waiting until his mouth is a little bigger, but I am finding it very frustrating after three fairly straightforward girls.

I think a day or two of careful expressing should sort me out, but jeez, I'm glad this is the last time I'll have to do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now