Talk

Advanced search

getting BF baby to take a bottle of ebm

(12 Posts)
Blueturquoise Sun 03-Jan-16 13:39:04

Hi
I need to leave my 11 week old in a few weeks to go back to work for a few sessions. It s unaviodable
She won't take a dummy / soother (fine) she seems to have difficulty holding it in
Have tried her on a few occasions with a bottle and she can't seem to manage it at all
We have tried Mam bottles and nuk bottles (first stage)

Any tips for getting her to take a bottle ? Have ac few weeks yet
She a great feeder and growing and sleeping well otherwise

museumum Sun 03-Jan-16 13:40:41

Who is looking after her? If it's her dad or gps then I would probably just use a cup. My ds would not take bottles, trying was hellish.
A nursery will need bottles but family could manage with a cup I think.

Watto1 Sun 03-Jan-16 13:44:16

Have you tried getting someone else to feed her? My dd would not take a bottle from me or from anyone else as long as I was in the house. The moment I went out, she happily guzzled an entire bottle when DH fed her!

Blueturquoise Sun 03-Jan-16 14:45:12

Haven't tried with me out of the house. Minders will be various mum friends as will be odd hours and she s so small I don't want to use nursery / Creche yet. Will need to be bottle as won't be dh etc

scrivette Mon 04-Jan-16 08:00:13

I had a bottle refuser until I tried the Tesco Value bottles (£1 each) and after a few tries he would take a tiny bit and when my Mum tried he took a good few ounces.

The value bottles have a very soft teat and I had seen them recommended on here by a midwife.

BooOzMoo Mon 04-Jan-16 08:09:23

I tried with both my breastfeeders as did DH and GP and we tried every single bottle under the sun!!!! Never took the bottle!

G1veMeStrength Mon 04-Jan-16 08:12:03

DD drove me demented with this problem. In the end she drank (away from me) if the milk was a lot lot warmer than I had been trying. Obv don't scald your baby!!! But try different temperatures. Good luck

Schmoochypoos Mon 04-Jan-16 08:13:01

Following with interest, I need to attend a training course at the end of the month for 3 days and will be out the house 830-4pm. My 20 week old has refused every type of bottle so far - think we've tried 6 types.

When people say a cup do you mean just a free flow soppy cup type thing? How do they drink it? Doesn't it just sort of pour out and loads get wasted? Sorry to jump on the thread OP

Schmoochypoos Mon 04-Jan-16 08:13:24

*sippy not soppy!

Blueturquoise Mon 04-Jan-16 23:13:59

She took an oz on two seperate occasions today from a nuk bottle with a latex teat. It's no victory yet though I won't celebrate till she s done it a few days in a row. I m terrified she ll reject it completely tomorrow

scrivette Tue 05-Jan-16 09:12:06

That's good at least, just keep trying with a small amount each day, then when she has to have a lot more at least she knows how to do it.

Cheesypop Tue 05-Jan-16 09:21:54

I was a nanny to a very small baby who was a bottle refuser. Obviously as she was being left with me I had to try everything possible to get her to take it. Eventually I worked out that I could hold the bottle to her lips and start singing. She would be so mesmerised/relaxed by the singing that she allowed the bottle into her mouth and eventually started to drink a bit. It took a few goes but we got there. Also her mum was not around - doubt this would have worked if she thought her mum was nearby. I also made the milk quite hot, as she seemed to prefer that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now