Talk

Advanced search

Newborn feeding, I have no idea!!!

(8 Posts)
Icklepickle101 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:30:23

I want to combination feed from day 1 as I have ME and 1 bottle at night will help me get some sleep.

My plan is for partner to give 1 bottle around 10/11 and breastfeeding the rest of the time.

I've just come to the realisation I'm clueless about ff, there seems to be so much conflicting information about how to make a bottle? And how do I know how much LO will need and when to increase the amount?

Will combination feeding cause me any bf problems?

cricketqueen Thu 31-Dec-15 11:34:27

Make the bottle to the instructions on the side of the tin of formula. As for how much the baby will drink well it depends on the baby, make 3oz to start off with and when they are finishing off the bottle start making more and so on.

KatyN Thu 31-Dec-15 11:49:26

The guidelines change all the time but 4 years ago you could make all your bottles up in advance nd store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When your little one is hungry just warm one up in hot water (a microwave isn't recommended because of heat spots).
My only massive realisation was to out formula in all the bottles bar one and then pour the correct amount of water in the leftover bottle and into each formula filled bottle.. If you pour the water in first the formula clogs up in the steam!!
Your hospital might have a ft feeding expert who can advise too!

cricketqueen Thu 31-Dec-15 11:59:31

You are not supposed to make bottles in advance anymore.

Icklepickle101 Thu 31-Dec-15 13:15:39

So just a small amount of freshly boiled water and then top up from the tap? Or should I use the Brita filter?

Jesabel Thu 31-Dec-15 13:21:03

If you're only doing one bottle a day you probably don't want to use powder - the powder isn't sterile and only lasts 4 weeks after you open the tub, so you'll have to chuck half the tub away each month!

Ready made milk is safer and easier, though more expensive. Mostly breastfed babies will only take small bottles of formula, maybe 3-4oz each time (less in the first couple of weeks).

If you do make bottles in advance, the most important thing is to make it with hot (70+ degree) water to kill any bacteria that might be lurking in the powder. You could make up the bottle at 9pm, so it's ready for 10. Chuck it away after 2 hours.
Or, make it up, cool as quickly as possible under running water/in ice water, and store at the back of the fridge. Use as soon as possible and definitely within 24 hours.

I would just go for ready made though personally.

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 31-Dec-15 13:22:04

Ask your midwife?

Jesabel Thu 31-Dec-15 13:29:55

In terms of it effecting breastfeeding, you'd probably be better to exclusively breastfeed for the first few weeks to get your supply established and then introduce a bottle (I did at around 3-4 weeks with no problems). As long as you keep it to one small bottle and continue feeding yourself in the night it shouldn't be a problem ime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now