Talk

Advanced search

what am i doing wrong (5 month old)

(16 Posts)
saranga Mon 21-Dec-15 22:59:35

My boy has cluster every evening of his life. We just got his mild tongue tie snipped 4 days ago and he's stilstill on me all evening.

Would introducing a bottle for his evening feed help? I want him to go to sleep in his cot, off me, for the evening. I'm happy to feed him at 9, or 10 and do the night feeds but spending eachand every evening with him on me is ready hard.

saranga Mon 21-Dec-15 23:00:54

Cluster fed every evening I mean.he's also asleep for most of the feeds. If i unlatch him to put him down he wakes.

Help.

icclemunchy Mon 21-Dec-15 23:12:52

I don't think your particularly doing anything wrong, if he had a tie he would be feeding more to make up for reduced milk transfer, and now he's been snipped he'll be cluster feeding to up your supply (and poss throw in a growth spurt)

Do you have any really life support? A decent HV or bf group? I highly recommend la letche if you have a group near you?

HeffalumpTrap Mon 21-Dec-15 23:15:05

He might just want to be close to his mum when he's feeling tired and wanting comfort? Do you feel like he's really feeding or just suckling for comfort?

saranga Mon 21-Dec-15 23:20:38

I have a great LC who referred us for the snip. I'll be going back to see her new year's eve.

Iccle - you think he'll be feeding more while he gets used to his new tongue? That is a horrifying thought.

Heffalump - he's doing both, but its mostly comfort feeding.

He's been putting on weight fine - stayed on the third/fourth centile from birth. So he's little, but growing as expected. I want my evenings back. sad

Marrou Mon 21-Dec-15 23:41:58

It sounds normal to me - at least for my children. They didn't ever sleep in their cots and slept in bed with us, at that age going to bed when we did. If they fell asleep in my arms I put them in the pram which they liked more than the cot.

saranga Tue 22-Dec-15 02:57:20

He goes in his cot fine if I put him down deeply asleep.
Before the tt cut he was going down at 9.30, after a 2.5 hour feeding to sleep period. Then he'd be askeep for 5 hours.
Last night it took till 10.30 to get him deeply askeep. He slept for 3 hours then he fed, asleep on me, for another 2 hours. He was feeding for just 15 minutes.
Tonight he was deeply asleep at 11.30 and g as just woken after 3 hours.
Why the change?

EasterRobin Tue 22-Dec-15 03:13:40

It's not the recommended advice but what worked for me was getting DH to give an early evening bottle so I could have a desperately needed nap and recharge my milk supply. Then I would give the late evening feed/s. It made a massive difference to us as I had previously been struggling to meet baby's evening milk demands due to exhaustion.

saranga Tue 22-Dec-15 04:20:13

How many ounces did you give?

ICJump Tue 22-Dec-15 04:53:14

My understanding is it takes a week or two for things to settle after the snip. Have you had any follow up care advice stretches for example

SweepTheHalls Tue 22-Dec-15 05:01:30

Same as Easter Robin here, DH gave a bottle if he fussed between 6 and 12, then I was back on duty after that. It saved my sanity!

Suddenlyseymour Tue 22-Dec-15 05:10:41

We did same, DH gave a bottle if he fussed between 7-10, saved my life. I think at 5 months we would have offered 6-8oz?

saranga Tue 22-Dec-15 06:33:26

IC - my kc has suggested one stretch gorvhim but we've not been given anything else.
OK I think we might start offering a bottle.I can express at the same time so my supply isnt affected.

saranga Tue 22-Dec-15 21:41:00

We fed lots during the day then gave a bottle of about 6 ozs at 7pm. When he'd got through that he fed for another 30 mins or so. Then fell deeply asleep, then woke up due to s cold and us feeding again.

Is he the hungriest baby ever?

daluze Tue 22-Dec-15 21:44:15

I would wait a couple of weeks after the snip before introducing a bottle. He needs to adjust his sucking to the "new tongue", which may take a couple of weeks, and introducing a different type of sucking from a bottle might disturb it. Otherwise a bottle won't do any harm, however, it may not improve things, if it is closiness and not food that he is after...

saranga Tue 22-Dec-15 21:52:49

I did think about waiting till Jan to introduce a bottle, bit I'm finding the evenings so hard. I'm pretty certain most of his evening clustering is for food, not comfort. Esp given how he fell asleep much earlier today.
Going to go my sure start centre bf group tomorrow. Get their opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now