Talk

Advanced search

6 month old: transitioning from EBF to formula and weaning

(3 Posts)
zahaziland Mon 21-Dec-15 13:25:36

I am currently trying to transition from exclusive BF to introducing formula and solids.

DS is now 6.5 months old and was exclusively breastfed until around 2 weeks ago.

I returned to work when DS was just shy of 4 months, and I pumped 2-3 times a day at work, to leave my expressed breastmilk with the nanny.
While I was very determined to give him BF as long as possible, the pumping was tiring and often quite impractical to fit into my working days, when I often have meetings in and out of the office.

So, when DS turned 6 months, I decided to drop a bottle (and hence a pumping session) and substitute with formula. I started dropping the mid-afternoon bottle (which the nanny gives him).
I will now probably drop the second EBM bottle at midday too. I would like to keep the morning and evening feeding sessions, but I am concerned that I might not produce enough milk. I have really mixed feelings, on the one side, I know that by switching completely to formula, I will feel less tired and stressed by the logistics, but conversely I am very sad at the idea of stopping breastfeeding!

In parallel, we introduced solids, which went quite well, and he seems to enjoy his vegetables and fruits!

Any advice regarding transitioning to formula and weaning would be appreciated. How much formula should he be taking at lunch and tea-time? Will I be able to continue breastfeeding morning and night?

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 29-Dec-15 21:27:45

I'm wanting to know this too so am going to watch this -- and give it a little bump too.

youlemming Wed 30-Dec-15 08:33:48

I returned to work when DD1 was 5m and continued to feed morning and evening until 8m only stopping as she was no longer interested.
At nursery she would have about 4oz inbetween meals, roughly as below and I'm now starting to get DD2 into the same routine ready for returning next month.

Bf on waking
Breakfast of porridge at nursery
4oz mid morning
Lunch
4oz mid afternoon
Dinner
Bf at bedtime

HV said they need around 500ml a day and that includes anything in food, not knowing how much they take per Bf makes it slightly more difficult to gauge but the above just be more than enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now