Talk

Advanced search

Questions re: expressed breast milk

(7 Posts)
heatherb82 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:55:14

I've been expressing a bit of milk every day for the past couple of days, to build up a supply so I can have a drink (or two) over Christmas. I've put each day's milk in separate storage bags in the fridge, but I'm a bit unclear about actually using the milk....for instance, my baby has a big appetite and will need more milk in one feed than I've been able to express in one day, so could I combine the milk from today and tomorrow in one bottle? If so, is it only safe to combine two consecutive days' worth (as opposed to three days worth for example?) Not done this before (I've only ever given expressed milk the same day), so I'd be grateful for any advice!

villainousbroodmare Sun 20-Dec-15 20:57:43

Do you have a freezer? Or even a freezer compartment in the fridge?

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 20-Dec-15 21:43:57

You're fine to mix it in the bottles but it will be the oldest milk that dictates hoe long you can keep it for, so may be best to limit to two days. Also, don't add room temp or warm milk to fridge cold - cool the new batch and then combine them both.

Kellymom website has good info on this sort of thing

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 20-Dec-15 21:48:06

You might also want to read this if you're doing it so you can have a drink or two. Interesting reading!
breastfeedingtoday-llli.org/alcohol-and-breastfeeding/

BumWad Tue 22-Dec-15 23:25:44

I used to mix the milks no problem

BumWad Tue 22-Dec-15 23:26:32

Posted too soon - different days and times and even frozen and fresh

MistressoftheYoniverse Tue 22-Dec-15 23:37:10

I mixed them its fine and froze some when they started taking up room in the fridge I used to date the ones in the freezer with masking tape just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now