Talk

Advanced search

formula change = baby screaming all night?

(18 Posts)
trian Wed 16-Dec-15 10:16:43

please help

my baby has always been ok at night, but I tried powder formula for the first time last night (there's no way I can afford to keep buying ready-made formula, baby is mixed feeding bottle and breast) and she was crying and screaming for ages and ages, seemed like she had bad wind

is it because of the change in formula? She's still not right this morning so far. Had so many challenges just to get pregnant never mind the rest of it....getting to the end of my tether :-( :-(

tiktok Wed 16-Dec-15 10:58:25

Sorry about your bad night, trian sad

Probably most babies have the occasional terrible night - hard to pinpoint the cause in most cases, though, if the baby is basically healthy and thriving.

It could be the formula, of course - what happened when you tried to comfort her? Would she settle with a breastfeed? Is she feeding ok today?

Have you thought about ringing your HV?

trian Wed 16-Dec-15 12:36:43

she wouldn't be comforted, apart from with a breastfeed - thank god one of my boobs still works cos the other is knackered from nipple thrush, so painful to feed off

she's feeding ok today so far, HV has been and says that it could have been the formula, I've got some formula being delivered that's the same make as the ready-made and HV says to introduce it slowly, like keep doing breast and ready-made at each feed but start doing a bit of powder as well (so 3 different forms of food at each feed). Really hope it works :-(

tiktok Wed 16-Dec-15 13:03:18

It's good she was comforted by a breastfeed, and of course that is a strong indication she was basically ok (not ill).

Sounds like your HV is on the case and what she says is sensible. The other (simpler) option is just to breastfeed without formula. It's perfectly possible to do it one sided only if one side is too painful.

trian Wed 16-Dec-15 13:39:54

thanks tiktok, would love to bf just from one side but I just don't produce enough milk. I'm on fenugreek to try and up my supply, doesn't really seem to have worked so I've just started taking more than the recommended dose which is 3 doses a day (I'm doing 4 today). Would absolutely love to exclusively breastfeed, would so, so love to be able to do that :-(

tiktok Wed 16-Dec-15 14:22:52

How old is your baby, trian?

One side is normally sufficient once the baby starts stimulating the supply solely on one side.

NattyNatural Wed 16-Dec-15 16:22:01

This happened to me when I switched my son from breast to formula (due to him having a tongue tie) then he changed to crying in pain for hours on end. Hv worked out he has a cows milk protein allergies and put him on prescription milk powder.

Worth a thought as babies don't react in pain just from swapping alone.

trian Wed 16-Dec-15 17:11:05

baby is 4 wks old, 4 wks of stress one way or the other so far, wish so much that I could do more for her and I had a partner to help her too.

nattynatural, I hadn't thought of cows milk allergy, I have milk on my cereal and that doesn't seem to upset her.....?

NattyNatural Wed 16-Dec-15 18:05:34

That was the same for me, I was drinking tea by the gallon and it didn't effect him when I was bf.
Watch out for green poo, that was a sign that the JV picked up

NattyNatural Wed 16-Dec-15 18:06:12

Hv*

trian Thu 17-Dec-15 20:12:33

i'm being daft natty, she's already on dairy formula cos I have to mixed feed. I'm trying a bit of the same make of formula this evening, she's only ever had it as ready made liquid so i'm trying a bit of the powder tonight, the stuff I tried the other night was a different brand so hopefully that was the problem

NattyNatural Thu 17-Dec-15 22:22:56

Ok good luck Hun x

BumWad Thu 17-Dec-15 22:25:45

What about comfort formula it is easier to digest. The ready made formula is apparently easier to digest too as it is heat treat and treats constipated DS

trian Thu 31-Dec-15 19:44:55

that's interesting bumwad, what's this comfort formula, I've never heard of it?

dgcoco5 Thu 31-Dec-15 19:50:28

Both my kids had allergy to cows milk -we were advised to switch to soya formula milk which helped. In addition to screaming my kids developed nettle like rash round her mouth which is a common sign of allergy.
Hope your little one settles soon

Luckystar1 Thu 31-Dec-15 19:59:31

I don't mean to speak out of turn as I didn't ff, and I completely know just how dreadful some of the days and nights can be, but it would be unwise to self diagnose an allergy/intolerance.

Slowly introduce the formula as advised. Your baby's digestive system is still very immature, give it a chance to catch up and slowly adjust.

I hope it gets better for you very soon, it is tough, but I promise it gets better!!flowers

austengirl Fri 01-Jan-16 10:02:40

Just to say good luck trian, I hope things are getting better. The first four weeks were hard going (mastitis, shredded nipples and DC weight loss) but have got better. If you have access to maternity support workers or a good drop in clinic, they might be able to provide support too.

trian Fri 01-Jan-16 12:09:02

thanks everyone, I think she's getting used to it and infacol has helped. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now