Talk

Advanced search

does my EBF baby need a multivitamin?

(14 Posts)
artisanroast Mon 14-Dec-15 19:34:54

Hi,

What are your thoughts...

My baby is EBF and I must admit my diet isn't always perfect. It usually includes too much chocolate and some days I don't hit my 5-a-day but in genera it's not bad. I have oily fish once to twice per week. I have red meat once per week. Overall my diet is ok, not great, not perfect, just ok.

So, I am considering topping up my daughters intake with abidec multivitamin drops. Has anyone else used these? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

MissBattleaxe Mon 14-Dec-15 19:38:33

No babies don't need vitamin supplements. Breast milk is tailor made for your baby.

Jesabel Mon 14-Dec-15 19:40:33

Sorry but I disagree with the last poster. All babies and children between 6 months and 5 years should get a vitamin A, C and D supplement. If you only do one then vitamin D is the most important as it is hardest to get enough from diet and the amount of sunshine we have, and many people are deficient.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Dec-15 19:40:41

It's recommended that all babies/children aged 6 months to 5 years are supplemented with vitamins A,C and D unless they are having over 1 pint of formula as it is already fortified.

VegetablEsoup Mon 14-Dec-15 19:41:19

bf babies need vit d3 during winter.
everything else they need is in the milk.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Dec-15 19:42:04

You should also take vitamin D as a breastfeeding mother

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 14-Dec-15 19:48:09

You should both be taking D3

TwinMama30 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:53:41

My twins are both on Abidec, as prescribed by the doctor on the neonatal unit (they were born at 30+5 and have just come home, aged 6 weeks).

Their weight gain has been great but this is more down to how well they are feeding rather than the multivit. We are breast/tube feeding at present so it's easy to administer via the tube but have been told it can be hard to give in a bottle or orally as it tastes awful. It also stains everything it comes into contact with!

Jw35 Mon 14-Dec-15 20:17:32

I wouldn't have thought so. I know formula fed babies don't

dementedpixie Mon 14-Dec-15 20:19:58

Formula is fortified though and they do need them if having less than 1 pint of formula per day

dementedpixie Mon 14-Dec-15 20:22:36

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx

artisanroast Tue 15-Dec-15 12:20:46

I take a breastfeeding multivit plus vit D3 and calcium daily.

All things considered I have given my daughter the abidec (even if she does screw up her wee face when she takes it).

I will switch to a broader multivitamin at 4 months which includes vitamin D3 because I do think its important for her bones and I think it has been linked to adult depression so lets hypothesise it will keep her happier too.

I live in Scotland and we haven't seen the sun here since June sad a good reason for a winter sun holiday but dh won't take the

artisanroast Tue 15-Dec-15 12:21:14

bait

ArcticCactus Wed 16-Dec-15 11:26:17

I can't take multivits due to the iron but both baby and I take vit d drops/capsules.
They're given out free here (we are about 60 degrees latitude and so it cold and dark for months at a time!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now