Talk

Advanced search

MIXED FEEDING - aptamil giving baby terrible stomach pains

(5 Posts)
parapluiepliant Mon 14-Dec-15 16:19:09

Hi
This is my 3rd beautiful baby.DD is nearly 4 months.
I BF exclusively my other two for much longer - but now I just don't have the time, the support or the energy to do this with my 3rd baby. Plus i never seem to manage to snack enough to keep up my energy.
Especially can't sit with baby attached to boobs instead of making dinner and doing homework with other two (7 and 8).

So - i have started mixed feeding - happy( ier) mum = happy baby/family.

HV (off the record) suggested Aptamil but its causing my baby to writhe at times and is clearly in discomfort. In the morning DD will take a bottle of Aptamil and seems happy but if i give her the milk at 3 ish or around that time she screams although hungry and splutters the milk everywhere. I've tried the variflow teats which work fine .

my mum suggested c & g as apparently she knows a few mums whose babies didn't get on with Aptamil. I'm considering slowly introducing c & g instead.

This isn't a post about BF v formula. I'm fully aware of the benefits of BF and tbh with my 3rd I'm pleased I've managed this long. I get huge blood sugar drops and don't have family to help so i do my best.

Any advice from other mixed feeding mums - I'm now tentative about upping the aptamil as its obvs not agreeing with her.

DD did take the breast fine after screaming the place down when offered aptaml. She clearly knows what she prefers...but i need to wind down BF in the next couple of months for various reasons.

Jesabel Mon 14-Dec-15 19:44:57

There's absolutely no harm in trying different brands - try a few and see what she prefers. Bit cheeky of your HV to recommend the most expensive brand!

NickyEds Tue 15-Dec-15 12:52:10

We mix fed ds and started with c&g but it seemed to give him really bad wind so switched to sma. There's very little difference between the brands as they're very heavily regulated but anecdotally I've known babies who just prefer one to the others. Just try a different brand and see if it suits your baby better.

BumWad Tue 15-Dec-15 13:37:17

Have you tried Aptamil comfort I mixed fed (bm/formula) on comfort milk before very slowly going on to normal Aptamil first.

saranga Thu 17-Dec-15 21:21:58

We started on aptimil.but our boy always threw it up, in waterfalls.. Switched to cow and gate and he's happier with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now