Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding taking a lot longer?

(6 Posts)
Rebeccaelizabethxo Sat 12-Dec-15 18:03:22

Hello, dd is 3 weeks and 3 days. Up until a few days ago she was taking between 10-20 minutes for a feed off of one breast and then going to sleep. Now she is taking an hour between the two breasts, falls asleep but the minute I move her she is wide awake again and seems unsatisfied.

Is it normal to go from such quick feeds to taking an hour ?

desperately trying not to give up bf but it's getting harder and harder to persevere.

CaptainCallisto Sat 12-Dec-15 18:27:41

DS1 did this. I worked out eventually that his mammoth feeds usually tallied with growth spurts. I just tried to make sure there were always tea and biscuits within arms reach. DVD box sets were also my friend!

CaptainCallisto Sat 12-Dec-15 18:28:13

Congratulations on DD also!

HelenF35 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:45:11

Perfectly normal. It's really hard for the first 6-8 weeks (or it was for me) but after that it becomes so much easier! It's totally worth persevering, but at the end of the day it's up to you to decide what is best for your own situation, others opinions are irrelevant. The long feeds aren't forever though, I promise! grin Do you have a local breastfeeding support worker to talk to?

Rebeccaelizabethxo Sat 12-Dec-15 18:57:09

I ended up getting dp to give her a bottle of expressed breast milk the other day because I was exhausted and I feel like I've ruined feeding by doing so and that's why she's taking so long.

I've seen someone from the FAB team at the beginning but I have little confidence in them because they said I was doing it all right but DD had severe jaundice and was taken into icu that same day and they told me she was dehydrated. I just feel like I'm second guessing everything I do when feeding her now. I never thought it would be this hard sad

daluze Sat 12-Dec-15 19:55:45

It is definitely not due to one bottle. Long feeds are quite normal at this age - bothy boys got much more efficient around 8-10 weeks. My DS1 was also in NICU due to feeding isues, but at 3 weeks they are much less vulnerable than the first days.
With DS2 I actually enjoyed long feeds, kindle was my best friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now