Advice please on how to night wean

(7 Posts)
Bugaboom Sat 12-Dec-15 14:31:57

Hello DD is 11 months. She is bf and refuses bottle/dummy. She has three solids meals a day plus snacks. I don't really count the breastfeeds but I'd say she has three a day. Night times are crazy. She has a bf just before bed then wakes after 2-3 hours and every 2 hours til I bring her into bed and then she latches on and off until morning. I've posted in sleep before and night weaning had been suggested. But I'm really not sure how! She won't settle for dh and if I try not to feed her she won't stand for it! Any tips? Feeling very tired and would like to stop bf when she turns 1.
Thank you

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Sat 12-Dec-15 17:00:44

Dd was pretty easy to night wean it just took a lot of persistence, when she woke I would try to soothe her other ways but it was still exhausting having to wake up when I was used to just letting her latch and drift back off to sleep as we co slept.
With ds I tried but it just wasn't for him and he was still feeding now and again during the night at almost 2! He just enjoyed the comfort and cuddle as he was still a co sleeper. Ive stopped feeding him now but he's still not a fantastic sleeper.
I think sometimes they just still need that contact and comfort during the night rather than actually being hungry. Have you tried soothing her in other ways bole fore feeding her during the night?

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Sat 12-Dec-15 17:01:22

Before* sorry

Bugaboom Sun 13-Dec-15 13:48:01

Argh I'm sure I replied this morning but I obviously didn't! Thank you cakes for responding. I've tried pacing/ cuddling/ rocking chair/sending dh in but I usually give in with 5 minutes as just find it exhausting when she's screaming. I guess I just have to make a concerted effort to try other methods and be more persistent. What did you find helpful to soothe your dd?

wetsnow Sun 13-Dec-15 13:53:44

We night weaned at 10 months.
Basically took 3 nights of doing anything but boob to get her to sleep. Me and she tag teamed sitting by her cot with an arm through the bars stroking or patting her. It was hard but it was a turning point as she slept through the night after and ever since unless ill.
Good luck... you just have to stay strong.

wetsnow Sun 13-Dec-15 13:55:05

*dh not she

Bugaboom Sun 13-Dec-15 15:01:16

Thank you. I think we'll do this as soon as DH has some leave. Did you do the same for settling at bedtime? I generally try to put her down drowsy after a feed but in all honesty she's very much on the verge of sleep rather than awake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now