1 day old been feeding for 12 hours HELP

(28 Posts)
Thighbrow Sat 12-Dec-15 06:05:00

DD is 26 hours old smile normal vaginal birth and we're both healthy. She had a feed straight after birth and then again a few hours later then not for about 5 hours. Anyway she started feeding about 6pm yesterday and she's been on boobs constantly since. I am SO sore. Think my latch is good and the soreness is down to overuse. My milk hasn't come in yet! Is this normal considering I'm only producing colustrum? She's had 2 meconium nappies and 3 wet nappies so I know she's getting food. I'm just exhausted and obviously haven't slept. It would be wrong to give formula wouldn't it? I'm wondering if the constant feeding is to relieve wind pain - or something else??

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 12-Dec-15 06:08:20

Yes it's normal. Horrible but normal! I really wouldn't give formula if you can avoid it at this early stage. I guess she's hungry and also wants comfort. She's brand new! Have you got nipple cream?

Thighbrow Sat 12-Dec-15 06:11:48

I know there's no need for formula I don't have any anyway I'm just wrecked. Was thinking maybe because it's nighttime and I haven't been drinking or snacking as much my milk isn't as fulfilling?! She doesn't seem to want to/be able to sleep too. Yes have lansinoh it helps a bit but nips are so abused.

RideEmCowgirl Sat 12-Dec-15 06:12:28

I personally would give her formula. I had this with ds2. I had blisters forming on my nippled.

I give him max of one formula per day just to settle him and help my pain until my milk came in. Then I BF for 8mths.

As long as you still latch on, the breats are being stimulated for your milk.

Fortunately I didn't have this issue with ds1 as I wouldn't have had the confidence to have made this decision.

bittapitta Sat 12-Dec-15 06:13:35

The feeding constantly is to stimulate your breasts to make the milk come in. It's normal. You need DP (or whoever is supporting you) to wake up now and take her while she is dozing and give you at least 2 hours sleep! It's tough in the early days.

kinkytoes Sat 12-Dec-15 06:13:38

Tiny tummy needs filling very regularly! Hang in there (and congrats) cake

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 12-Dec-15 06:15:45

There is nothing wrong with the quality of what you are producing it's just that it comes in tiny quantities and I guess she's a hungry girl! If it carries on today and you are desperate you could sent the dad to pick up a carton and give her a little bit to give you a break but breastfeeding advisors wouldn't say it was a good idea. That doesn't mean it will necessarily cause any harm to breastfeeding but you need to be careful

bittapitta Sat 12-Dec-15 06:16:36

Keep yourself fed/hydrated definitely (or rather someone else should do that!) but your milk doesn't come in until day 3 or so, she is suckling to tell your body to produce milk! Don't start making up stories about your milk not being good enough when you are both doing everything right! Read the Kellymom website it's has good guides.

duckyneedsaclean Sat 12-Dec-15 06:19:28

Yes, a long feed will help your milk come in, and if she's producing at nappies, that's good.

However, I had to top up with ds1 for the first week of so, stopped when the milk came in properly. Maybe try to avoid for another day.. But you've still got to function remember! That's the most important thing.

duckyneedsaclean Sat 12-Dec-15 06:20:24

(the top up part is important, only after a long feed!)

RideEmCowgirl Sat 12-Dec-15 06:26:46

Yes I agree with the top up advice. I still put Ds2 to both breasts and then gave the formula.

SummerDreams13 Sat 12-Dec-15 06:58:48

Oh yes, I remember this! It gets better quite soon but in the meantime, nipple cream and nipple shields. Use the shields irregularly, just to have a bit of a rest. Good luck and enjoy your newborn!smile

Frazzled2207 Sat 12-Dec-15 06:59:41

The more she suckles the quicker your milk will come. In the meantime get your dp to hold her for a while while you sleep, and when she really wants to feed again try the lying down/side by side position.
We slept this way but if you are worried you could get your dp to watch you as you get some proper rest.
Congratulations! It will get better, promise. Giving formula would not be the end of the world but i think best to stick with it until your milk comes if you can.

LittlePixieMa Sat 12-Dec-15 07:00:00

Hey
It's sooo tiring but so normal. Things change and it won't last. My DS was like that for a few weeks, but then it settled, and now I love breast feeding smile xx

NotQuiteCockney Sat 12-Dec-15 07:09:13

Adding formula to the picture isn't a great idea, particularly if mum isn't keen.

You say the pain is from overuse, but generally, if there is pain, then the latch could be fiddled with a bit to improve things.

Pain, and a bad latch, will mean baby is getting less milk (or colostrum) than they could be. Which can have a long term effect on your supply.

Is there breastfeeding help local to you? Or could you call one of the helplines?

YouBastardSockBalls Sat 12-Dec-15 07:16:39

Totally normal. It's natures way of getting the milk in. It's also when most mothers give in because no one ever tells them that it's normal, natural and necessary.

You're doing great! Congratulations! flowers chocolate

sianihedgehog Sat 12-Dec-15 07:41:11

Oh, I remember this. It's absolutely normal and natural. The good news is that it gets better after your milk comes in. The bad news is that it might get worse first. My poor nipples were raw and bloody and I couldn't even stand to touch them. I had to use nipple shields intermittently for a couple of days just to get them healing. Do ring your HV or midwife and ask for help if you are hurting, they may be able to help with getting an even better latch. And try the "rugby hold" when feeding. An awful lot of women I know have found that was the only way to get a pain free latch in the early days.

katienana Sat 12-Dec-15 07:51:01

It's normal but usually happens on day 3 or 4 in my experience. I bet your milk comes in quickly and it will get much easier. In the meantime make the most of any breaks and use lots of lansinoh. Good luck and enjoy cuddling your new baby x

munchkinmaster Sat 12-Dec-15 07:54:42

I would swaddle her up nicely and give her to her dad to cuddle, rock to sleep. I bet she will. Probably all day and be back to this tonightfsmile

lighteningirl Sat 12-Dec-15 08:06:15

I had this and the midwife recommended a bottle of formula, like magic no hungry baby no sore mum it worked fabulously I went on to feed for 13 months with no problems

expectantmum79 Sat 12-Dec-15 08:43:50

Perhaps some of the time is for comfort rather than food. Have you tried a dummy?x

expectantmum79 Sat 12-Dec-15 08:46:42

Hot cloths on the breasts was something that used to give me a little ease. If you do give a little bit of formula do it during the day as it's at night that your body regulates the milk supply so you need her to be feeding plenty then.

RideEmCowgirl Sat 12-Dec-15 09:18:37

My milk came in after only three day's

MumCodes Sat 12-Dec-15 09:42:45

My God, you must be in agony! I bf for two hours solidly after DS1 was born and was in so much pain I nearly quit bf before I began. He did have a crap latch though (sorry son).

If you can, get someone to take the baby for a couple of hours so you can rest and recover. Let a little breast milk dry on the nipple and use plenty of Lansinoh.

And GOOD LUCK! You're doing an amazing job.

nolongerwaitingfornumber2 Sat 12-Dec-15 09:52:22

I had this with my second and my milk came in much sooner and more gradually than the Pamela Anderson boobs I developed overnight with my first. Things improved massively once my milk came in but he also had a tongue tie which hadn't been picked up so worth checking when the MW comes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now