Talk

Advanced search

What foods to eat/avoid for happy BFing? !

(9 Posts)
MrsA2015 Fri 11-Dec-15 02:01:26

I've had a rubbish appetite recently, craving sugar and carbs like crazysad would love to hear what foods you ate and avoided when you were BFing

Lemonfizzypop Fri 11-Dec-15 04:58:17

No advice but watching with interest! I have been eating shitloads of sugary shite, not sure if it's breastfeeding making me crave it or tiredness.

I'm only having one coffee a day as I found having a strong coffee midday made her sleep more erratic in the evening however I don't know if that's a definite link and she wouldn't have had a bad night anyway!

Tbf the kellymom website says what you eat has very little affect on yiur breastmilk or supply. But it's always good to try and be healthier, need to stop living on hobnobs!

I've eaten loads of spicy food and have had one glass of wine pretty much every day.

53rdAndBird Fri 11-Dec-15 05:55:17

Eat whatever you like! Your breastmilk will be the same either way. Unless you have a baby with a cow's milk protein intolerance or similar, it really won't make much of a difference.

jaggythistlez Fri 11-Dec-15 06:24:16

What 53rd said.

Eat: what you like, especially cake. Avoid: things you don't like. grin

Also it's fine to have a couple of glasses of wine or whatever. The myth about not drinking a drop while bfing seems very strong, I've had to tell loads of people recently, who were thinking they'd have to pump and dump milk to have a beer. smile

kbro79 Fri 11-Dec-15 10:22:00

Cake, chocolate, crisps, toast and wine is basically my diet. Oh and tons of water to deal with the breastfeeding thirst.

Has anyone tried nursing tea? I've been drinking that to see if it helps with DS windy bum but not sure it makes any difference really.

MrsA2015 Fri 11-Dec-15 11:56:05

Exactly what I needed to be told! I've been feeling so guilty everytime shovel junk in. Had no pregnancy cravings, jusy jaffa cakes in last 2 weeks but after having DD all I've wanted is chocolate and stodge!

Only thing I've noticed is her tummy playing up if I've made a banana milkshake unless it's just pure coincidence. No other dairy seems to affect her.

cake!!!

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Fri 11-Dec-15 17:36:30

So wine is ok? I've been having the odd glass after a feed with a meal. I know pumping and dumping is bollocks. Everyone says such different things. My friend told me that we metabolize alcohol or something so it's fine to drink. there was one health visitor at a bf group that said if you're sober enough to look after a baby then you've not drunk too much ...

Lemonfizzypop Fri 11-Dec-15 17:58:52

It pisses me off that the NHS website recommends the same amount of alcohol as when you're pregnant, everything I've read says that the amount that will be in your milk after a couple of glasses is negligible. They put so much pressure on women to breastfeed but don't seem to want it to be compatible with most people's lives. I don't exactly want to get pissed (waking up for the 3am night feed would not be fun) but I do want to be able to enjoy a (large)glass of wine in the evening without feeling guilty.

AuntieStella Fri 11-Dec-15 18:07:28

Sugary non-shite is the way to go.

Try flapjack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now