Talk

Advanced search

2 night business trip and breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
ScarletBegonia1234 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:54:49

Hi all,

I go back to work p/t in January when ds will be 8 months old. He is currently ebf as well as on 3 good meals a day; when I go back to work he will get formula in the daytime 3 days per week.

I have just found out I have to go away with work for 3d/2n at the end of February. I am happy that ds will manage on formula/frozen expressed milk while I'm gone but I'm worried about what I will need to do while I'm away. I know I will need to pump to avoid discomfort and to maintain supply....I have a manual pump will this be OK? Or would the time it takes be impractical? I would rather not have to shell out for an electric one at this late stage but if people think it's necessary I can look into hiring one.....

Thanks in advance!

ScarletBegonia1234 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:56:31

Forgot to say I really want to make sure I maintain my supply as want to keep bf so any advice on that count also appreciated!

Radiodependent Wed 09-Dec-15 15:20:54

I did several trips when mine were babies and it was always fine, initial I took an electric pump by after a while I was fine with a manual avent one, and ended up preferring it as it was quieter and easy to pack. I can't remember exactly how often I pumped at that stage but it was something like on arrival at the destination (after a four or five hour journey) and then evening, morning and when feeling uncomfortable. I think it's quite personal - some people need to pump more than others. I would imagine supply is established enough after 8/9 months not to suffer too much. The longest trip I managed was 8 nights when ds2 was almost 1 and there was no problem with supply afterwards even though it had probably dropped while I was away. Hope things go well with your return to work.

Radiodependent Wed 09-Dec-15 15:22:02

Sorry typos due to toddler climbing on me- should read initially....but

ScarletBegonia1234 Wed 09-Dec-15 15:23:26

Thanks so much that's really reassuring! I am starting to feel a bit less panicked and a bit more excited about the thought of a baby free full nights sleep!smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 09-Dec-15 15:29:16

I travelled for work while bfing. I did have an electric pump, but the biggest thing is trying to move as much milk as possible, and hand expressing can be a really practical way of doing that. It also has the advantage that you can hand express into a plastic bag which is very portable (I've expressed in plane toilets!)

Radiodependent Thu 10-Dec-15 14:20:41

Ah yes plane toilets, happy days!

museumum Thu 10-Dec-15 14:25:18

I found my manual pump pretty efficient actually.
And I'm sure your supply will bounce back after the trip. You don't need to express the full amount your ds would drink.

CityDweller Thu 10-Dec-15 14:28:27

Manual will do the job. Pump in morning and bedtime and you should be fine.

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 10-Dec-15 20:27:52

Phew that's good to know. Looks like it might be 3 nights now....I think I'll stick with the manual pump and bring lots of breast pads!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now