Talk

Advanced search

Cluster feeding through the night

(3 Posts)
Unthoughtknown Wed 09-Dec-15 13:58:31

I have a 5 week old who is ebf. Apart from the normal week 1 struggles and some fussing at the boob and colicy symptoms bf has been fine. Great weight gain and plenty of wet/dirty nappies. She feeds on demand, so feeds are between 1 and 3 hourly. She is a bad sleeper in the night, but not unmanagable.

Last night she cluster fed from 11.45 to around 5.30 in the morning, and it was incredibly tough. At 3am I felt like I'd been run over..weak, aching etc. At the moment I feel like I'd try anything not to have to go through that again, so is there anything I could do? I'm not sure if I should start feeding 2 hourly in the day again or try giving expressed or formula top ups. She won't take a dummy but I would try and persevere.

I know cluster feeding is normal, I know it's only for a short time (although the thought of another 7 weeks of this doesn't seem short). I do co sleep if I have to, but i don't find lying down feeding that restful tbh.

I also worry her day/night confusion is going to take ages to sort as the only time I can sleep properly is between 8am and 12pm, and then it's dark at 4pm.

Topsy34 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:49:46

I would try offering more from 4pm or so til bedtime, see if you can shift the cluster feeding to evening

Sounds like you are doing a fab job, all these issues will pass eventually

Unthoughtknown Wed 09-Dec-15 17:13:44

Thanks topsy, am going to keep her close to me this evening to encourage more feeding and see what happens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now