Talk

Advanced search

nipple healing - help needed please xxx

(12 Posts)
trian Sun 06-Dec-15 13:15:17

my baby damaged one of my nipples by taking some of the skin off, this was about 2 wks ago and the nipple hasn't healed as i'm still breastfeeding and expressing (and bottle feeding, grrr).

Any advice on how to heal broken skin on a nipple?
thanks in advance!

gaslamp Sun 06-Dec-15 13:18:27

Lansinoh (not sure I've spelt that right) from Boots or chemist will protect the nipple if it is not healing due to being wet / fed on - worked for me. If you think it's infected though, go to GP. Sounds sore - hope gets better soon!

MaisieDotes Sun 06-Dec-15 13:22:47

Lansinoh (I'll follow your lead on spelling gas! ) is ok but when DS had tongue tie I ended up having to get a prescription cream from the doc who snipped his tongue tie. It wasn't a branded product- the pharmacist had to make it up for me.

So I'd say go to the GP with it if it isn't healing.

Another thought- I didn't do this but have you considered nipple shields just for the time being, to give your nipples a chance to heal?

trian Sun 06-Dec-15 13:23:25

thanks gaslamp, I have been using lansinoh but it's still not healed, having said that, I switched from lansinoh to airing them as of about 38hrs ago so i'll go back on the lansinoh for a bit, I think maybe a combination of treatments is what's needed.

trian Sun 06-Dec-15 13:24:00

i'm wondering if aloe vera gel would be any good....

AliceInHinterland Sun 06-Dec-15 13:24:18

Have you tried nipple shields (silicone shaped to go over your nipple that the baby can feed through) or nipple shells (which hold fabric away from the nipple allowing them to 'breathe').

Missdee2014 Sun 06-Dec-15 13:24:58

Get Jelonets from your pharmacy and put them on between feeds. I had terrible cracked nipples with dd2 and they were my saviour. Them and Lansinoh. I'm currently pregnant with dc3 and the Lansinoh is already bought in, must remember to get some gelonets too.

scandichick Sun 06-Dec-15 13:25:56

I second the nipple shields (Medela were recommended by my lactation consultant), worked within 48 hours for me when nipples were open blisters. Once your nipples get a rest they should heal very quickly, it's the constant re-opening that was the killer...

Missdee2014 Sun 06-Dec-15 13:26:11

The Jelonets are good to apply to your nipples and then place a breast pad over them for between feeds.

DimpleHands Sun 06-Dec-15 13:39:38

I'm currently using Lansinoh during the day, Multi Mam compresses at night, and exposure to air after bath in the evenings. Seems to be working OK!

trian Sun 06-Dec-15 15:35:54

thanks for all these tips everyone xxxx

MsMargaretCarter Sun 06-Dec-15 15:41:24

if it hasn't healed you need to check the baby's latch and your expressing technique too - no amount of cream will help if the wound is constantly being reopened - sorry if that sounds obvious.

Also make sure there is no Lansinoh on when the baby feeds - it is perfectly safe for the baby but it can make things very slippery for them latching on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now