Talk

Advanced search

nightweaning

(3 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Sat 05-Dec-15 19:09:49

how and when did you do it?

DS2 is 13mo and wakes every 1-2 hrs all night, every night, and always has. Am feeling deranged - and a little resentful - so I need to nightwean him. But I'm too tired to come up with a plan of action, so am looking for encouragement and inspiration...!

SouthYarraYobbo Sun 06-Dec-15 08:36:58

I did it at 6 months. When dd1 woke up l would go into her, pick her up and encourage her to find her thumb (dumny refuser) and just hold her for a while then put her back down. She cried for a little while but we continued with the night hugs and then she started teething so l would go in to comfort her.

tiredybear Sun 06-Dec-15 16:46:11

Wow, that's tough. Well done for keeping going for so long.

I'm attempting this now. DS is 8 months and feeds every 2-4 hours in the night. Last night I fed him before bed at 6.30, then at 10ish. When he woke at 2ish (pretty good stretch of sleep!) I didn't let him feed, just offered him water and cuddles. DP had to take over with the cuddles and after about an hour (!!) he finally settled back to sleep, til 4.30 when I fed him.

Feeling confident that this will work as this is what everyone has been telling me to do for ages but what with colds/teething and me feeling exhausted I've not felt up to trying it until now.

So, maybe try the same? Choose a night feed to drop and just offer water/cuddles. Maybe someone else could do it for you so you get a bit of extra sleep too?

I think you have to try it for 3-7 days before they take the hint.

If you've managed on such little sleep for so long you are already a superhero so you can definitely crack the night weaning! GOOD LUCK!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now