Talk

Advanced search

Exclusive Expressing

(3 Posts)
Mordirig Fri 04-Dec-15 09:32:16

I am expecting my third next year and after a failed attempt with my first I tried very hard to establish BF my second but couldn't get a latch, even with the support of MW and BF support volunteer in hospital and continued help at home, nothing helped, not even a shield made a difference.
I do have one inverted nipple and one flat, but all literature says this shouldn't be a problem but the BF support volunteers couldn't get DD on either after weeks of expressing and cup feeding, eventually I gave up and expressed and the mixed fed using bottles.

So this time I am going to try and get a latch and BF again, I know that it most likely won't happen so I am prepared and won't let myself feel depressed about it, but if that doesn't work I want to exclusively express for a minimum of 3 months.
The good thing is I was able to express quite a lot even early on, I was pumping every 3-4 hours but around 6-7 weeks the amount decreased significantly, I wasn't sure why, it could have been stress or fatigue, we will never know.
The only complication this time round is I am diabetic and can't tolerate a lot of carbs in my diet, is it possible to establish a good supply while diabetic and on an effectively moderately lower carb diet?

Any advice would be useful, sharing your experience if you exclusively expressed would be great.

TIA L

SouthYarraYobbo Fri 04-Dec-15 13:57:15

Sorry I've no advice re carbs etc but just wanted to wish you luck. I'm coming up to 12 weeks expressing for dd2 and it's hard work as you know! Having bf dd1 l felt a bit obligated to give bm again but I'm stopping soon as it's really restricting me and I'm looking forward to more freedom, away from the pump!

I hope you can get bf to work this time for an easier life flowers

NickyEds Fri 04-Dec-15 20:06:17

It's my understanding op that what you eat/how much you eat has no bearing on the amount of milk you make- your body prioritises milk production. Stress and fatigue will also not significantly effect your milk. The only thing that will maintain milk making is milk removal so pumping frequently is the only way I think. Did you rent a hospital grade pump last time? My friend exclusively expressed and said that the difference between a normal pump and the rented one was really worth the money (she rented it from the nct for £35 per month).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now