Talk

Advanced search

Three month old refusing to feed

(9 Posts)
FondantFancy66 Wed 02-Dec-15 19:54:50

Hi,

DD is nearly three months old, and for the last few days has refused to feed. She's mix fed and is refusing breast and bottle, despite being a brilliant feeder up until now. She's not getting anywhere near the recommended amount of formula for her weight, and is completely refusing to breastfeed. She doesn't seem ill, she seems to be getting hungry but she's jyst not taking it. She's relatively happy most of the time and her sleep doesn't appear to be affected. Is it anything to worry about? Could she just gave gone off milk?

Doje Wed 02-Dec-15 19:58:21

Whenever my DS did this, it was normally because he had teeth coming through. He was FF though, so not sure if that would effect the BFeeding.

It's difficult not to worry, but they'll not starve. I'd say if she's not got a temperature just wait it out.

FondantFancy66 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:07:23

Hadn't thought of teeth, my DS didn't get them until later. She's a chubby little thing, so I'm sure she won't starve. I'll contact the HV if it lasts too long, but it's only been a few days so far.

MagpieCursedTea Wed 02-Dec-15 21:08:14

I was going to suggest teeth as well. DS was less keen on feeding (breastfed) when teething. I found some calpol and/or teething gel before a feed helped.

FondantFancy66 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:04:08

Calpol and teething gel don't seem to have worked. She's had about 3oz in 12 hours. That can't be good.

MagpieCursedTea Thu 03-Dec-15 11:12:54

Has she had any breastfeeds as well?

FondantFancy66 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:16:25

About two minutes this morning. So nothing really, compared to how she used to be.

MagpieCursedTea Thu 03-Dec-15 11:32:53

I'd give your health visitor a call. It could just be a developmental thing. She's become more distracted by the world around her and that's stopping her feeds, but better to check with the HV just in case.

ChairoftheBored Fri 04-Dec-15 15:07:32

I had this when DD was about the same age - 2 days when she just would. not. feed. I was frantic (and as she was exclusively BF at that point also rather sore). Called the doctor who was pretty chilled about it - suggested she was perhaps feeling a little grotty and to wait it out. As long as she is producing wet nappies should should be OK - but if you're worried the HV may be able to reassure you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now