Talk

Advanced search

How much for a second hand breast pump?

(12 Posts)
FuckOffJeffrey Mon 30-Nov-15 20:39:41

I hope this is the best place to ask this.

I'm having a clear out and planning to sell my Medela Swing Electric breast pump on a local facebook selling page but I'm not sure what to charge. Any ideas?

I bought an additional 3 bottles for it that can be used for storage and will include them. The pump itself was only used once a day for less than 2 weeks as I just didn't get on with it and found I got much more milk from my manual tommee tippee pump so switched back to that. The bottles did get used a bit more but just for milk storage and not actual feeding. I've checked it over and it's spotless and looks brand new.

I still have all parts including the box. I'm sure at the time I paid around £140 for it from mothercare. I'm thinking I could maybe get around £40 for it. Does that sound about right? I don't want to overprice or underprice and could be doing with selling it quickly to raise some extra cash for christmas.

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 30-Nov-15 20:41:22

You can't sell that particular one on, it has an open system which means the tubing and the pump will be full of mould/milk.

Even the manufacturer says only use for a year then discard.

PuppyMouse Mon 30-Nov-15 20:41:42

I got about £50 for my Lansinoh one from memory?

Good way to work out what to charge is to search for the item on eBay, then refine search to sold items only. That'll show you what same items have sold for and therefore worth.

PuppyMouse Mon 30-Nov-15 20:42:04

Cross post with Moo.

FuckOffJeffrey Mon 30-Nov-15 21:18:10

I did have a look at where the tubing meets the case and there is nothing there at all but that's possibly due to the fact it's literally had less than an hours use and milk has never gone up the tube where the pump is. I think I only managed to fill about 1/2 a bottle over the course of two weeks so it's had very little milk run through it. It's advertised as a closed system on their website but I did find a blog post where someone took apart a 2 year old pump and found mould etc. I thought the general advice was all home Breast pumps should be single user only. I know the hospital grade ones are fine for more than one person but they are the ones that cost at least two thousand pounds.

Oh well, it just seems a waste to chuck it away when it's been used so little.

poocatcherchampion Mon 30-Nov-15 21:20:50

Mine is quite manky in the tube - I'm not sure whether to use it on dc3. I hate pumping anyway so might just not bother at all. But it seems such a big deal to chuck it.

ZenNudist Mon 30-Nov-15 21:21:30

I used that one secondhand and just passed it on again. I checked if for mould in the sponge bit near the battery and sterilised all the parts. Just reminded me to remind my friend who borrowed it to do the same. Hopefully she will read instructions online that say similar.

Check eBay to see what they go for.

FuckOffJeffrey Mon 30-Nov-15 21:33:50

I've added pics of sponge, tubing and where tubing connects to pump. It looks pretty clean to me but I would hate to sell it on if it's not safe.

SydneyCarton Mon 30-Nov-15 22:17:57

I bought a second hand Medela Swing from eBay last year for £40 plus P& P, so that sounds about right. No sign of mould or gunk in it, but I did use it mostly for the motor with the tubing and bottles coming from one I got from my sister- family mould only grin

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 30-Nov-15 22:19:37

I bought a second hand one and used it for 3 years completely unknowingly, which is why I'm a bit twitchy, I donated my milk to premature babies. I'd never have used it if I'd known.

FuckOffJeffrey Mon 30-Nov-15 23:08:16

I've only now just read you can buy different size breast shields / cups for it. I think that was the problem for me and why I never got it to work properly as the cup was too small for me. Seriously annoyed at myself I didn't notice that sooner as I could have got much better use out of it had I known (and prevented the serious hand cramps I got from manual pumping). angry

I think I will list it. I have honestly checked it over and it still looks pretty much brand new and I see no signs of mould at all. If I was even slightly dubious or I could spy one little bit of mould or a black dot etc I wouldn't sell it but I'm pretty confident it's clean.

I'm hoping that people will have a google of it first before buying and it should pull up all relevant information before the decide to buy. I know when I googled the model the issue of second hand / open system came up on the first page.

BumWad Tue 01-Dec-15 13:35:17

I sold my Medela Freestyle on eBay for £100 with all the parts. I scrubbed and sterilised everything, obviously it's up to the new owner wether they want to buy new parts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now