Talk

Advanced search

when did you start freezing food for weaning??

(16 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Sun 29-Nov-15 10:39:02

My ds is only 6 weeks and I have no intention of starting the weaning process until he is 6 months + (I have a 6 year old girl and I cant remember what I did with her and I believe the whole weaning thing has changed since she was tiny) so just for curiosity when did you start. I have a lot of fresh fruit and veg that I dont want to go to waste (I hate waste especially when there are starving children!) could I start now and freeze it?? Do I puree it, which I believe isn't the done thing anymore or do I keep it more whole? X

wetsnow Sun 29-Nov-15 10:41:19

Didn't.
At six months she sat with us and had food from our plate. BLW... It worked for us and no prep at all. Would definitely do it again. Her first food was a corn on the cob.

wetsnow Sun 29-Nov-15 10:42:23

No idea about fruit storage!

Artandco Sun 29-Nov-15 10:43:28

I would just give what you give 6 year old. You don't need to purée. You will be cooking for her and you anyway so can just give baby a bit

Use the veg now to make you and daughter soup

WutheringFrights Sun 29-Nov-15 10:48:24

Another baby led weaning fan here, but I think we just called it lazy parenting. Both DC ate anything we had from around 6 months...no faff!
However, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your baby. BLW has become 'fashionable' but I have a friend whose baby just didn't take to it, so long as they are getting decent food it doesnt matter how it's prepped.
Blw is a just bit more messy - we found our dog helped with that!

cookielove Sun 29-Nov-15 10:53:19

My lo refused to pick up food from his tray so blw wouldn't/didn't work for us. I started puréeing around 5 and 1/2 months! I think veg has a longer frozen life not sure what though!

Doublebubblebubble Sun 29-Nov-15 10:54:31

Aw okay I don't mind mess really. Is corn not too small for them then?? I thought it was bigger bits? Help lol x

wetsnow Sun 29-Nov-15 13:48:18

It was on the cob!

Cookie love sounds like your baby wasn't ready for baby led weaning. You are supposed to wait till they pick things up themselves

wetsnow Sun 29-Nov-15 13:49:08

BLW book is fab. Gives you a you need to know.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 29-Nov-15 14:35:55

Ah sorry wet didn't see the "on the cob" part lol okay I'm freezing my breast milk so I might freeze one or two pots and go from there when the time comes x

cookielove Sun 29-Nov-15 15:46:05

wet my baby even now at 15 months is still reluctant to pick up most foods. He eats a wide range of foods off of spoon, and despite being offered finger food at every meal time, refuses to pick most things up.

Focusfocus Sun 29-Nov-15 16:04:42

I wouldnt be happy at all to give my baby food frozen five months months ago for her first intro to food. It would be spring then (our babies are the same age it seems) and I'd want to introduce him to food with some fresh spring veggies.

Regarding the veg you have now - make soups and freeze for your family to enjoy over the winter that lies ahead of us?

Doublebubblebubble Sun 29-Nov-15 16:08:40

Yeah I agree actually on the making a soup or a stew (have used quite a of the veg today) its not feasible for me and mine we just go through the stuff too quickly. I'm still going to freeze my milk x

VegetablEsoup Sun 29-Nov-15 16:09:38

never.
at 6 months dc had what we had: either pick-up-able or mashed with a fork.
plus ordinary porrige in the morning

BikeRunSki Sun 29-Nov-15 16:11:17

BLW here too.

DS snatched a tuna baguette out of my hand at 6 months and a day, and that was it. He refused any more spoons ever. I binned at the ice cubes of carrot etc that I had made.

DD wasn't bothered about food - either in her fingers or a spoon - at 6 months. At 7 months she chomped her way through anything BLW.

Focusfocus Sun 29-Nov-15 16:47:06

Freezing milk is fine for upto six months in a stand alone freezer, and three months in freezer attached to fridge! Doing that too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now