Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding on restricted diet for gallstone pancreatitis

(10 Posts)
firsttimejoj Sat 21-Nov-15 07:56:29

Hi there,

I have a thriving 5wk dd who has been exclusively BF until a few days ago when I was hospitalised and diagnosed with gallstone pancreatitis.

To bring my condition under control I've been on a near starvation diet as food will trigger another attack in the first 5+ days. I've only been eating one or two cuppasoups, small amounts of dry cereal and bread. Even these small amounts have caused small attacks.

Thereafter I've got to be careful with what I eat, maintaining low fat/no fat diet until I have my gallbladder removed in 6-8wks.

My question to you is this: I'm worried about what impact this new starvation diet over the next wk is going to have on my milk production and whether my milk will dry up. From your experiences, will this happen? Is there anything I can do (aside from eating) to promote milk production?

Many thanks,

Jo

A few extra side points that I think are relevant:

1. Last night at her 8pm feed I noticed I had less milk for her than was usual. She went ballistic because she had to work a bit harder to get what was there out.

2. My consultant has advised me to BF to bring another condition I have under control, which is why I'm so keen to continue it.

3. During the 36 hours I was in hospital she was combination fed (bottle fed formula and my expressed milk at night and I BF her in the day). We think she suffered nipple confusion during this time as she'd never had a bottle before.

WiIdfire Sat 21-Nov-15 07:59:14

First question is: why are you waiting 6-8 weeks? Guidelines say gallbladder must be removed within two weeks, if not done at the time of the admission with pancreatitis. Address that and you wont have a problem with diet. Sorry if my post is unhelpful if theres another reason you are waiting for the surgery.

WiIdfire Sat 21-Nov-15 08:00:40

Ps oats are supposed to be good for milk production - could you make some oat+water porridge? (Dont know if true)

MigGril Sat 21-Nov-15 08:09:56

After the first 4-6 weeks off breastfeeding when milkproduction is hormone driven, it is then driven by supply and demand. The more baby drinks the more you make. Women in staving countries can successfully breastfeed. Country to popular beliefwhat you eat has little to do with it. unless it's effecting your hormone balance. Kellymom.com is a good site for information.

Fluids are important though keep willhhydrated, but don't got over the top. have you been drinking enough?

junebirthdaygirl Sat 21-Nov-15 08:16:34

The biggest trigger for me with gallstones was coffee. Just in case you are having some.

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Sat 21-Nov-15 08:17:43

Things which noticeably helped with my milk supply were fennel tea & anything containing oats. I'd drink/eat booth whenever DD was going through a growth spurt or if I knew I'd need to express for a few days to build up a supply of frozen milk.
Supply & demand does impact but my body would always take a day or so to catch up. Were you able to express overnight when your DD wasn't with you?
Hopefully the amazing tiktok will be along soon.
flowers I am sorry you are going through this. It must be hard.

tiktok Sat 21-Nov-15 14:49:48

Your low fat diet won't have any impact on your breastfeeding.

'Confusion' after a bottle teat is not widely supported as a notion. It's far FAR more likely your little dd's change in behaviour is the result of being separated from you so suddenly and overnight, too ( Obv you had no choice but to do this!). She will of course get over it.

Hope you get your op soon.

firsttimejoj Sat 21-Nov-15 17:11:41

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my Q.

Wildfire - the consultant told me that the inflamed pancreas needed time to recover as it was dangerous to operate before it had calmed down. Also, I think there is a waiting list.

Miggrill - how true! Of course mothers in times of famine can still BF. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thatsnotmyhouse - I didn't express the first night as was in A&E but did from the morning onwards.

Thanks again

WiIdfire Sat 21-Nov-15 17:55:28

Obviously I dont know the details of your case, so I may be wrong, but if you are struggling to eat anything, it may be worth discussing having the surgery earlier.

www.bsg.org.uk/pdf_word_docs/pancreatic.pdf

gi.org/guideline/acute-pancreatitis/

firsttimejoj Sat 21-Nov-15 18:27:26

Thanks so much Wildfire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now