Talk

Advanced search

How to stop expressing, advice needed!

(7 Posts)
SouthYarraYobbo Thu 19-Nov-15 10:46:02

So from my other thread I've decided it's time to stop expressing - but l don't know how to!

Hoping someone can help as l can't really find much info out there and when l spoke to my gp about she just said to enjoy dd confused

I currently express every 2 hours 6.30 am to 8.30 pm. I only get about an ounce per boob but go always for 20 mins.

I was thinking of spreading to 3 hours for a week at 20 mins still.

Then second week 3 hours at 10 mins.

I currently do 2 night sessions which l thought to keep and then drop to 10 mins second week also?

With dd1 we bf and just dropped feeds as she wanted so l am uncertain if this is right?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

MaidrinRua Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:04

I just stopped cold turkey about a month ago. It took 2 days. Lots of ibuprofen and ice packs in bra, avoid warm water getting on your boobs in the shower. They will be massive, heavy and sore for about 2 days but then they will feel like new boobs again smile
Good luck.

Caterina99 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:40:35

I just pushed out to fewer sessions per day. Every 2 hours just killed me. I wasn't actually trying to cut back per se, but it was just impossible to keep up and care for DS. I managed to maintain 3 sessions per day, morning, lunch time and bed time for a while, and then took it to morning and night and finally just stopped altogether as I was hardly getting any milk. I'd say a few days is how long it takes to adjust.

Caterina99 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:43:09

That's a few days per dropping sessions btw. I think going cold turkey could result in blocked ducts and possible mastitis so I'd cut back feeds per day first.

Caterina99 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:51:35

Sorry still didn't explain well. For 3 days ish every go 3 hours, then for another 3 days go every 4 hours, then 5 hours etc. cut down the time gradually as well. Good luck

Peaceloveandpartyrings Sun 22-Nov-15 00:00:38

Please do it slowly! Cold turkey could be a one-way ticket to mastitis which is grim as fuck. Best wishes

SouthYarraYobbo Sun 22-Nov-15 10:49:28

So l want to finish at 12 weeks which is 3 weeks from now so l will start spreading them out next week.

And i would like to avoid mastitis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now