Talk

Advanced search

Would you continue expressing

(16 Posts)
SouthYarraYobbo Mon 16-Nov-15 14:45:11

If you were only providing 2 bottles? I've reached the point where l think l should give up (only started in the hope could re-establish bf). Dd is 2 months and l don't see me doing this until she is 6 months so I'm constantly questioning when's the right time.

How did you know it was time?

MommysNotTalkingToday Mon 16-Nov-15 14:54:09

Those 2 bottles will be doing your DD a lot of good. Have you seen a lactation consultant? They may well be able to help you increase your supply and re-establish BF.

nameschangerer Mon 16-Nov-15 14:57:06

I think it's up to you and how it makes you feel. Don't wear yourself out expressing but if you're fine doing it then it does do some good.

You will know when you know!

SouthYarraYobbo Mon 16-Nov-15 14:58:56

I have seen a lactation consultant and dd is just not having it unfortunately! I bf dc1 so feel a little sad/guilty it hasn't worked but l have tried everything and it's either mixed bottle feeding or ff now.

Some days it feels worth it and other days l think I'm expressing every 2 hours during the day and 3-4 at night and I'm only getting 10-12 ounces in that 24 hour period.

MommysNotTalkingToday Mon 16-Nov-15 15:54:57

Don't feel guilty (easier said than done, I know).
nameschangerer is right, you will know when you are ready to stop.
Have you considered power pumping to boost your supply?

SouthYarraYobbo Mon 16-Nov-15 16:44:50

The lc said to power pump but said l'd need to pump every hour during the day and every 1.5 - 2 hours during the night for 24 hours which l did once to kick off the expressing but it was too soul destroying to consider doing it more than once! (And l was convinced bf would be re-established so was massively motivated! )

One session a day is doable. I might give it a go for a week and see.

Thanks for the tip smile

MommysNotTalkingToday Mon 16-Nov-15 18:40:40

Sounds like hard work! Not surprised you're getting fed up.
Any idea why dd is not having it? Has she been checked for tongue tie?

cwhite Tue 17-Nov-15 13:20:27

I gave up expressing when my baby started rejecting the breastmilk - expressing is a lot of work so don't put too much pressure on yourself. What the NHS are now reporting as the benefits of breastfeeding are very different to what I was initially told (I'm presuming additional studies have come out). Perhaps have a look at those to see if you think it's worth it anymore? www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/why-breastfeed.aspx

Having seen these I have no regrets stopping knowing how hard it was.

BumWad Tue 17-Nov-15 15:08:26

Personally I would.

Two bottles is 2 bottles. I expressed till 6 months after DS stopped breastfeeding at 12 weeks. Well worth it if you can manage it.

SouthYarraYobbo Tue 17-Nov-15 17:03:13

Thanks everyone. I've decided to stop. I had a chat with dh today and it seems he's struggling with the changes of dd2 (he was absolutely my saviour with dd1 when l was very down as she was bf and constantly on me!) and me sort of being tied to two hourly expressing and so being housebound. As l didnt plan to do it long term (had hoped for 12 weeks ) I don't want to buy any more paraphernalia.

SouthYarraYobbo Tue 17-Nov-15 17:11:44

cwhite that link only talked about the virtues of bf, nothing there makes me think it's not worth while (if you had a good supply )

What is different to what you were told?

cwhite Tue 17-Nov-15 17:51:26

In my instance I didn't think that the reported benefits of breastfeeding (decreased chance of tummy upsets, ear infections and diabetes) were enough to make me consider breastfeeding in what was a distressing situation for me and my baby. Continuing breastfeeding to 7 weeks is one of my biggest regrets and to be honest the only reason I post on this forum is knowing that there will be Mums out there like me who are in a horrible and depressing situation and there is pretty much not support for formula feeding Mums.

I'm certainly not here to knock breastfeeding (and nothing in my post or that link suggested that there was anything wrong with it) but I posted it just so you could weigh it up for yourself. When I started breastfeeding I was told that there was a link to IQ - we now know this isn't the case. I never suggested breastfeeding wasn't worthwhile and I think ultimately this is something we all have to weight up for each circumstances.

BumWad Tue 17-Nov-15 18:30:04

You have made the right decision for yourself and your family.

Don't feel guilty! Enjoy smile

SouthYarraYobbo Tue 17-Nov-15 18:40:40

Sorry cwhite l didn't mean to imply you were knocking it and l agree there probably are a lot of mums feeling pressure to bf.

I was myself surprised to read that some of the benefits of bf have a time limit to it. I think when it works, as it did for me with dd1, it's great. When it's not working the guilt, from ourselves and hv etc, is immense.

I absolutely hated expressing with dd1 and did it twice and declared it wasn't for me. Because l didn't need to do it. I've done it now for 7 weeks with dd2 and even thought it's not so bad...because that made it easier to crack on and do it.

But it hasn't been easy for my family and I'm looking forward to a bit more freedom (as much aa you can have with a bottle fed baby!) for us all to enjoy life again.

MumCodes Tue 17-Nov-15 19:41:07

I bf my kids for way beyond the timetable, and carried on because, for me, it was easier. Tiredness makes me forgetful, so it was handy that even when I locked us all out of the house three times in one week, I never left without my boobs...

But, that was the main reason. The stats that seem to change every year didn't matter much to me much beyond the first few weeks.

I had to express with my first DS, and found it really hard work. So to be still getting up nights and expressing and taking care of two kids OP makes you a total HERO!

You should be proud of how long you bf for, and proud of your decision to stop because you know what's best for your family.

SouthYarraYobbo Thu 19-Nov-15 20:55:06

So it turns out I'm not ready to give up blush

After announcing to dh I'd stop and mentally preparing and trying to work out how to actually quit l then spent the afternoon inconsolable and feeling so distressed that dh and l have agreed he'll support me until 12 weeks and then we can re-evaluate how it's impacting us all.

My dh really is my rock. I know I'm bloody lucky to have him.

And I'm now power pumping to help with my supply.

I'm feeling much happier if not thinking I'm a little insane to be setting alarms in the middle of the night while dd2 is sleeping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now