Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Making Bottles with Formula

(5 Posts)
FairytaleTraveller Sat 14-Nov-15 22:51:00

I am 25+2 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. I ff my DS and all was good so decided to do same with my 2nd. My D's is 6 so therefore was trying to recall how I made his bottles quickly and sterile. Any opinions on the following method:
1) sterilise all feeding equipment etc.
2) boil kettle with tap water
3) if baby was on say 3oz per feed, fill each sterile bottle eg. 3/4 bottles up to 2 oz with boiling water.
4) cool to room temp then place in fridge
5) feed time- take out a bottle of the cooled 2oz of sterile water. In a spare sterile bottle place 3 scoops of powder and add 1oz of boiling hot water.
6) stir to mix and sterilise powerd.
7) Add the 1oz of HOT power/boiling water mix to the cool sterile water and shake shake shake shake!
8) Test and it shouldn't be far off from perfect?!

I more or less did sa e thing with DS and he was fine and feeds went down a treat....
Any comments or changes perhaps?

Spitoon Sun 15-Nov-15 12:56:58

That's about right- so long as the first water to come in contact with the powder is the hot water. I find it easier to keep hot, boiled water in a flask and cold boiled water in another flask and and use the mixing method you describe...that way you only have to boil the kettle once and it's always ready to go.

Kim82 Sun 15-Nov-15 13:00:53

Sounds fine but put the 1oz of water in the bottle first and add the powder afterwards rather than putting the powder in then the water second. Other than that, sounds great.

BertieBotts Sun 15-Nov-15 13:03:26

That sounds fine, there's even a machine you can buy now that does it all for you, a bit like those instant coffee machines!

Another idea would be to always have one bottle around. So as soon as he finishes a feed and is settled, you make up a whole bottle with hot water, flash cool and put in back of fridge. Heat up when he is next hungry, and repeat.

It means the made up milk is not sitting around for a whole day but it also means you don't have to hurry and make a bottle while he screams.

FairytaleTraveller Sun 15-Nov-15 20:22:41

Thanks for your replies, I felt I just needed that reassurance to do that method again this time. My friend has the 'formula express' machine, but for £90 I'd much prefer my own way! Haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now