Reflux/CMPA hell...please help!

(18 Posts)
Treesandbees Sat 14-Nov-15 20:28:51

I desperately need some support and advice. I have a 14 week old daughter who at 10 weeks started having severe diarrhoea which lasted 3 weeks. After several trips to the GP, a clear stools test for viruses etc they prescribed Nutramigen. It was a battle to get her to take it but we were getting there when she started getting bloody/mucousy nappies, being sick during/after feeds and very refluxy. The GP then prescribed Neocate and ranitidine. But she was more unsettled after a few days point blank refused to drink it (despite adding vanilla). After 24 hours of only drinking 3oz the GP said to put her back on Aptamil. She guzzled the milk initially but after 3 days she's back to being very unsettled. The GP and HV dont know what to do and we are our wits end with a screaming hungry unsettled baby. We also have a 2yo so exhausted trying to look after them both. Can anyone help me with a way forward? I'm getting desperate to see my old smiley baby back! Thank you x

Gillyia Sun 15-Nov-15 08:32:12

Hi, hopefully your GP will refer you to a paediatrician - I would ask for that. In the meantime it might be helpful to keep a diary of feeds, nappies, and symptoms so that you can be clear when you see the paed. Really hope things settle for you soon x

BumWad Tue 17-Nov-15 15:10:47

I would ask for an urgent referral to a Peadiatrician.

Hope hou get it sorted!

birchwoods Fri 18-Dec-15 22:57:15

Hi, did you get to the bottom of your babies problems? What was it? Hope all ok now.

Cupcakesandlove Fri 18-Dec-15 23:03:10

Hi, I'm not sure if it's the same thing as cows milk protein allergy but have you tried colief? It's lactase enzyme drops you add to any milk including breast and it breaks the lactose down in the milk so the baby doesn't have to digest it... My daughter is unable to break it down and this has worked a treat I feel like I need to spread the word on it! That was u can stay with aptimil and add the drops as we are doing

luciole15 Fri 18-Dec-15 23:08:41

I second colief. Was enough to resolve CMPA in my LO. You could try a 'comfort' blend formula. My LO didn't like Nutramigen so I had to BF again after almost fully weaning onto formula. At one year oat milk is ok. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cupcakesandlove Fri 18-Dec-15 23:15:12

It's great isn't it luciole-!! Expensive and a pain to make but still fab!

Cupcakesandlove Fri 18-Dec-15 23:16:29

Also in boots aptimil do a lactose free powder formula it's in a tin with a white lid for £5.50 if I remember we haven't tried it yet as we have our review with the HV on Tuesday

xhayleyxx87 Sat 19-Dec-15 08:58:32

My daughter has cmpa and reflux and has a feeding aversion from it now. She is on neocate milk as the nutramigen wasnt broken down enough. She also has ranitidine, omrprazole medication and carobel to thicken the milk

BooOzMoo Sat 19-Dec-15 09:33:23

I was breast feeding and cut out all the dairy in my diet and this helped!!! Also use the colief and ask for ranitidine!!!!

birchwoods Sat 19-Dec-15 23:26:47

What symptoms did your babies have with CMPA? My DD (19 weeks) had periodic episodes of mucousy blood in her poo (separate from the poo, sometimes just a little bit and only ever one, maybe two nappies per day for a few days) but no other symptoms. She's not colicky at all, no skin complaints etc...
Wondering if it's actually lactose overload from oversupply/OALD.
Would I have to express and bottle feed to give colief and would it have to be given every feed? She is EBF.

Cupcakesandlove Sun 20-Dec-15 08:56:49

Hi I'm FF but with breastfeeding you just express a little onto a spoon and add the colief to that...
Maybe call your Heath visitor on Monday for advice, I'm not really sure what the cause of bloody poo is but everything I've read is CMPA.
I don't know if my daughter has CMPA she just isn't able to break down lactose and digest it at this stage. My daughter was colicky... Massively in fact! Used to bring up her feed, scream for 5 hours of an evening and morning did 1 poo a day if that was red in the face used to curl her body up

ArcticCactus Sun 20-Dec-15 09:13:21

Our health service told us a little mucous and blood with no other symptoms was normal and not a sign of anything malign.

birchwood if there are no other symptoms and your child seems ok, it's likely they are fine. Ds went through a colicky period at about six weeks and used to scream the place down. He had his six week check and the doc said it's very common - he gets a lot of parents worried the child has an allergy and demanding treatment when it's often a short lived and normal developmental phase. Of course if there is weight loss, feeding refusal, rashes etc that's a different kettle of fish but if that's the only symptom I think it's unlikely you have an issue. Lactose intolerance is not as common as the Internet would have you believe

birchwoods Sun 20-Dec-15 22:11:37

Thanks both. She is quite sicky but no more than is normal for some babies I don't think. She's not colicky at all luckily, it's just the mucousy blood. Her poos are sometimes greenish and explosive so I'm leaning towards thinking it's an oversupply issue rather than CMPA. We spent the day at the hospital last Sat and I was told to cut out dairy for 6-8 weeks. I'm happy to do it of course, if it helps my DD, but total nightmare at this time of year! I've been dairy free for a week though and she's still getting the odd bit of mucousy blood. I'm trying to see if it correlates with me having particularly full boobs.

pamplem0usse Sat 02-Jan-16 07:37:24

Colief will not help babies with genuine cmpa. It does nothing to the protein! More likely babies digestive systems are maturing at the time it's given and so it looks to be having s miracle effect... It isn't! Babies with genuine cmpa will not benefit from colief and while experimenting in this way could suffer serious damage to their guts. A paediatric referral and preferably with someone at a tertiary hospital who knows what they're talking about is a much better suggestion...

pamplem0usse Sat 02-Jan-16 07:39:02

And blood in poo is always a cause for concern unless you know what's causing it. It's pretty typical cmpa and suggests gut damage...

feesh Sat 02-Jan-16 07:45:22

When we went onto Neocate (when DS was about 4 months old), it took 4 weeks to gradually wean onto it (by gradually increasing the % in the bottle) and another 4 weeks of slightly worse symptoms before everything settled down and got a lot better. At age 3 we are just getting some success introducing dairy again.

It sounds like you've rushed the transition a bit - I think you need to go back to Neocate and give it more time.

Treesandbees Sat 02-Jan-16 08:07:19

Thanks for all the replies everyone. DD is now 21 weeks and we are doing a 100% better! Ended up with an emergency referral to Paed. She's CMPA and got bad reflux. Now on Nutramigen Puramino and top dose of ranitidine. Her weight gain is up and down so we're seeing a dietician at the end of Jan. It's so nice having my smiley happy baby back!

I agree that coelif won't help for CMPA (we tried everything)! My DD also had bloody nappies from gut damage so I would definitely try diary exclusion but it will take awhile for it to heal. We're also giving DD probiotics to help her gut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now